This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9563 / 53°57'22"N
Longitude: -1.0876 / 1°5'15"W
OS Eastings: 459970
OS Northings: 451524
OS Grid: SE599515
Mapcode National: GBR NQVP.BH
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.8TCC
Entry Name: 29, Trinity Lane
Listing Date: 10 January 1991
Last Amended: 14 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256392
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464969
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Micklegate Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
SE5951NE TRINITY LANE
1112-1/15/1143 (South West side)
(Formerly Listed as:
The Ideal Laundry)
Manufactory, later an orphanage, then laundry, now flats. Late
C17 remodelling of early C17 building; further remodelling in
early C19. Extended c1895. Original building for Nicholas
Towers. C19 extension by WG and A Penty.
MATERIALS: orange-red brick, largely in English garden-wall
bond, some random bond, with timber doorcase and eaves
cornice, and hipped pantile roofs. Extension in English
garden-wall bond, with rendered first floor, and tiled roof.
Brick stacks to both parts.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 5-bay main front, with 2-storey extension
at left, with irregular fenestration. Central entrance in main
front, in doorcase of plain pilasters with bracketed hood,
recessed door of 6 panels, 4 raised and fielded, 2 fluted, and
decorative glazed overlight, in panelled reveal. Doors in
outer bays are half-glazed with overlights. Several windows
blocked: those visible are 12-pane sashes, all with painted
stone sills, most with flat arches of gauged bricks. In left
end bay, vestiges of C17 segmental arches are visible. Two
left bays have modillion eaves cornice, mutilated, which
returns at left end. Between the two bays is a fluted inverted
bowl rainwater head with fallpipe on fleur-de-lys holdfast
clamps. Extension has C20 windows and first floor string
Rear of main building: fine pair of external chimney stacks, a
round-headed staircase window, and sash windows. Wing: ground
floor obscured by later building. On upper floor, four half
dormers with hipped roofs and tapered finials, 3 with 2-light
casements, 1 with replacement glazing. Projecting bracketed
eaves with guttering carried on wrought-iron scrolls.
INTERIOR: extensive brick-vaulted cellars. Right end room on
ground floor has large fireplace with 4-centred brick arch.
Remainder of building has good early C19 doors and door
surrounds, windows and window surrounds, reeded with paterae.
Also an early C19 staircase with thin fluted balusters. Some
rooms also have early C19 fireplaces, also reeded with
HISTORICAL NOTE: original building erected as a soap-boiling
factory by Nicholas Towers (Sheriff of York, 1657), and known
as 'Towers Folly'. c1800 to 1851, it became the horn and shell
comb factory of John Nutt; subsequently the residence of Rev.
Henry Vaughan Palmer, whose daughter Henrietta became an
authoress under the pseudonym 'John Strange Winter'.
(Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York:
Edinburgh: 1980-: 215; RCHME: City of York: London: 1972-:
Listing NGR: SE5998751506
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings