This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9551 / 53°57'18"N
Longitude: -1.0842 / 1°5'2"W
OS Eastings: 460195
OS Northings: 451393
OS Grid: SE601513
Mapcode National: GBR NQWP.2Y
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.9VZ9
Entry Name: Building Attached to South West Corner of Lady Anne Middletons Hotel
Listing Date: 14 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256599
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464720
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: York St Mary, Bishophill Junior
Church of England Diocese: York
1112-1/21/915 (South West side)
Building attached to south-west
corner of Lady Anne Middleton's
Organ manufactory, now part of hotel. c1880; altered early
C20, renovated c1989. Front of red brick in Flemish bond, with
bands and dressings of cream or black brick; right side and
rear of mottled red brick in variant of English garden-wall
bond. Slate roof, gabled to front with timber valance,
bargeboards and finial.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey front. Inserted C20 door in left return.
Ground floor of main front has two lancet windows with
decorative glazing and a stone sill. Pointed window arches,
3-course sill band and 1-course impost band of contrasting
brick. Right window blind. First floor window is of tripled
lancets with bordered decorative glazing and stone sills on
quarter round moulded sill blocks. Other detailing as for
ground floor windows. In attic, cross-glazed oculus in
contrasting brick surround. Contrasting brick frieze and
console cornice to gable end. To left of first floor windows,
rectangular plate to tie rod, visible within building.
INTERIOR: windows incorporate stained glass panels. Building
roofed on 2 king post trusses with single side purlins, partly
carried on spurs, partly trenched-in.
HISTORICAL NOTE: building continued in use as an
organ-builder's workshop, occupied by Walter Hopkins, until
1921, when the premises were sold. A notice advertising the
sale on 21 July 1921, of "valuable Organ Builder's Stock in
Trade", which included a steam engine, displayed in the
upstairs room at time of survey.
Listing NGR: SE6019551393
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings