This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9553 / 53°57'19"N
Longitude: -1.0836 / 1°5'0"W
OS Eastings: 460233
OS Northings: 451414
OS Grid: SE602514
Mapcode National: GBR NQWP.6W
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.BV74
Entry Name: Skeldergate House Hotel
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256636
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464712
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: York St Mary, Bishophill Junior
Church of England Diocese: York
1112-1/21/913 (South West side)
Skeldergate House Hotel
House, now hotel. c1777-8, altered and part demolished c1925.
Probably by John Carr for Ralph Dodsworth, Sheriff and Lord
Mayor of York.
MATERIALS: orange-red brick in Flemish bond, with window
arches of gauged brick; painted ashlar dressings and timber
eaves cornice; slate roof with brick stacks.
PLAN: originally central-entry plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic; 5-window front, gable to
street. Open-pedimented doorcase with fluted pilasters,
moulded imposts and frieze block roundels; octagonal-panel
double door beneath plain fanlight in keyed round-arched
surround with sunk panel pilasters. To left, two 4-pane sashes
with flat arches of gauged brick; to right, flat arched
carriageway broken through to rear of building. First floor
windows are 12-pane sashes with sill band, over raised first
floor band, which returns on right side. Centre window has
eared and lobed architrave with pulvinated frieze and moulded
cornice; flanking windows have floating cornice above flat
arch. Second floor windows are squat 6-pane sashes, the centre
one in eared and lobed architrave, the flanking ones with
painted stone sills and flat arches. Moulded eaves cornice to
pedimented gable end. Radial-glazed oculus in painted ashlar
moulding in gable end. Pediment flanked by low parapets with
moulded coping terminating in urn finials. Rear: pedimented
gable end with moulded cornice, enclosing lunette window.
Right return: Venetian staircase window with radial-glazed
centre sash. Moulded eaves cornice.
INTERIOR: ground floor: original staircase column-on-vase
balusters re-used in rebuilt staircase in entrance hall.
Original plasterwork survives in entrance hall and former
stairhall to rear. Saloon to left of entrance retains moulded
skirting, enriched dado and panelling, cornice and plaster
ceiling. On first floor, landing has dentilled cornice. Room
to left survives intact, with fireplace of panelled pilasters
and console cornice shelf, and cast-iron grate. Arched bed
recess between Tuscan pilasters in rear wall.
(City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-:
Listing NGR: SE6023351414
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings