This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9553 / 53°57'19"N
Longitude: -1.0842 / 1°5'2"W
OS Eastings: 460195
OS Northings: 451410
OS Grid: SE601514
Mapcode National: GBR NQWP.2W
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.9VZ5
Entry Name: Lady Anne Middletons Hotel and Attached Garden Walls
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Last Amended: 14 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256639
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464715
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: York St Mary, Bishophill Junior
Church of England Diocese: York
1112-1/21/914 (South West side)
14/06/54 Lady Anne Middleton's Hotel and
attached garden walls
(Formerly Listed as:
Formerly known as: The Ann Middleton Hospital SKELDERGATE.
Hospital, now hotel: wall and gate attached to north-east
corner bounding north side of front garden; wall attached to
north-west corner, now incorporated into hotel sun-lounge.
Walls form south-east side of Carr's Lane. Hospital dated
1829; renovated and altered 1973. By Peter Atkinson for The
Corporation of York as Trustees.
MATERIALS: pink mottled brick in Flemish bond on ashlar
plinth, with window arches of orange-red gauged brick; ashlar
doorcase and frontispiece, timber eaves cornice; 8 brick
stacks to hipped roof of Welsh slate. Garden walls of red and
dark brick, part in English garden-wall bond, part in random
bond; stone coping.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey 7-bay front, 3 centre bays pedimented and
projecting slightly. 2 wide steps to central doorcase with
flat cornice hood on brackets and door of 8 raised and fielded
panels in plain architrave. First floor centre bay has
hemispherical niche in round-headed architrave between volutes
carved with anthemion, which contains painted carved figure of
the Foundress in Puritan dress. All windows are 16-pane sashes
with painted stone sills beneath flat arches of gauged brick,
those on ground floor recessed in blind panels. Modillion
eaves cornice, and plain cornice to pediment. Datestone in
pediment inscribed: "THIS HOSPITAL/ WAS BUILT AT THE/ EXPENSE
OF THE CORPORATION/ OF YORK ANNO 1829/ THE RIGHT HONble JOHN
DALES/ LORD MAYOR/ WILLm HOTHAM ESQr./ GEO PEACOCK ESQr.
WARDENS/ ISAAC SPENCER ESQr."
Rear: 16-pane sash windows. Paired modillion eaves cornice.
Original rainwater goods survive, with fluted bowl hoppers.
INTERIOR: cantilevered staircase with stone treads,
hollow-sided stick balusters, and ramped-up wrought-iron
handrail, wreathed at foot round column newel on shaped
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: garden walls approximately 1.75 metres
high, stepped- and ramped-up to 2.0 metres approximately,
following slope of Carr's Lane. Part in front of building
interrupted by garden gate of railings with arrowhead tips;
part to rear incorporating segment-arched opening with boarded
door. Tooled flat coping.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Middleton's Hospital was founded in 1659, by
Mrs Anne Middleton, widow of Peter Middleton (Sheriff of York
in 1618). The carved figure of the Foundress over the door of
the present building may survive from the original hospital.
(City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-:
Listing NGR: SE6019551410
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings