History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

York and North Midland Railway Company Workshops and Water Tank at Ngr Se 5951 5144

A Grade II Listed Building in Micklegate, York

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9558 / 53°57'20"N

Longitude: -1.094 / 1°5'38"W

OS Eastings: 459550

OS Northings: 451456

OS Grid: SE595514

Mapcode National: GBR NQSP.YQ

Mapcode Global: WHFC3.5T9T

Entry Name: York and North Midland Railway Company Workshops and Water Tank at Ngr Se 5951 5144

Listing Date: 14 March 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1256827

English Heritage Legacy ID: 464501

Location: York, YO24

County: York

Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate

Built-Up Area: York

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: York St Paul

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
York

Listing Text


YORK

SE5951SE QUEEN STREET
1112-1/20/896 York and North Midland Railway Co.
Workshops and Water Tank at NGR SE
5951 5144

II

Workshops and water tank, now disused. 1839, altered and
refitted in late C19. By GT Andrews for the York and North
Midland Railway Company; tank manufactured by the Walker
Foundry of Walmgate, York. Workshops of orange-red brick in
English garden-wall bond on ashlar plinth; moulded stone
cornice; slate roof, hipped at one end, with timber louvre and
brick stacks to part; cast-iron water tank.
EXTERIOR: front, originally facing railway line: 1-storey
3-bay building supports water tank; to left, lower 1-storey
5-bay attached workshop. Tank building has segment-arched
opening blocked with later brick linked by broad stone impost
band to round-arched radial-glazed window with stone sills on
each side. Sharply moulded cornice encircles building beneath
low parapet. Water tank is of cross-braced panels with central
circlets, some formerly enclosing date and manufacturer's
plates: one plate inscribed Y&NM survives. At rear,
segment-headed doorways with replacement doors, one with
overlight, flank inserted windows with timber lintels and
brick sills. Workshop front has one blocked doorway and four
windows with stone sills, all with segmental arches: rear has
original doorway with replacement door, one inserted doorway
and three original windows. Moulded cast-iron guttering forms
cornice around building. Right return: 4-panel door with
overlight and window to left, both with segment-arched heads.
Windows have small panes with iron glazing bars and central
opening panels.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: during the building of The Old Station and
former Station Hotel, Toft Green (qv) for the York and North
Midland Railway Company between 1840-41, the Company used a
temporary station outside the city walls. This building
survives from that station and as such is one of the earliest
surviving purpose-built railway structures in the country. A
plate recording manufacturer and date was removed c1993.


Listing NGR: SE5951051440

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.