This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9581 / 53°57'29"N
Longitude: -1.0857 / 1°5'8"W
OS Eastings: 460092
OS Northings: 451725
OS Grid: SE600517
Mapcode National: GBR NQVN.RV
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.9R8Z
Entry Name: The Other Tap and Spile Public House
Listing Date: 14 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257062
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464271
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: York All Saints, North Street
Church of England Diocese: York
SE6051NW NORTH STREET
1112-1/28/807 (West side)
The Other Tap and Spile Public House
Public house. Dated 1896, with some later remodelling. By WG
Penty. Red brick in English garden-wall bond, the basement
painted; painted stone dressings; stone coped gables to tiled
EXTERIOR: basement and 2 storeys, alternate bays with attic; 4
bays, articulated above basement by thin giant pilasters with
moulded imposts. Left of centre attic has shaped gable, right
end one shaped parapet, both with moulded coping. Entrance in
basement of left of centre bay has double doors each of 4
raised and fielded panels beneath flat hood on fluted console
brackets. To right, boarded cellar doors. At right end, tall
elliptical carriage arch, closed by ramped-up boarded double
gates. On ground floor, 3-light window over door, lighting
inner stairway, flanked by 3-light mullion and transom
windows. Similar window over carriage arch on first floor;
others of 2 lights. All windows are small-pane casements,
recessed beneath semicircular or segmental relieving arches.
On ground floor, pilaster bases continue on each side to form
moulded sill band; at first floor moulded impost band forms
sill band to first floor windows. In attic, pilaster imposts
linked by flat band, inscribed over left of centre bay with
INTERIOR: not inspected.
A public house on the site was known from c1840 to c1980 as
The Yorkshire Hussar.
(Dissertation for MA in Architectural Building Conservation:
Davison Andrew P: "A Good House, fit for the purpose: Public
House Design in York": De Montfort University: 1993-: 81).
Listing NGR: SE6008351723
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings