This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9584 / 53°57'30"N
Longitude: -1.0863 / 1°5'10"W
OS Eastings: 460053
OS Northings: 451758
OS Grid: SE600517
Mapcode National: GBR NQVN.MR
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.8RZR
Entry Name: Church of All Saints with Anchorage Attached
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257067
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464276
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: York All Saints, North Street
Church of England Diocese: York
SE6051NW NORTH STREET
1112-1/28/812 (West side)
14/06/54 Church of All Saints with Anchorage
Church and Anchorage attached. C12 nave; part of north and
south arcades early C13; east end rebuilt and chancel chapels
added in early C14; aisles widened incorporating chancel
chapels in early C15; nave and aisles extended westwards and
tower with spire added in later C15; chancel and chancel
aisles reroofed in late C15; C18 weathervane added to spire.
Restorations by JB and W Atkinson 1866-67, during which south
aisle was rebuilt and porch and vestry added; 1908, during
which the Anchorage was reconstructed by E Ridsdale Tate;
further restoration in 1991 by Peter Marshall, Architects.
MATERIALS: magnesian limestone ashlar and squared rubble stone
incorporating a number of incised coffin lids; small area of
red brick in random bond at west end of north side; parallel
roofs tiled, with stone coped gables. Anchorage of shuttered
concrete, with planted timber-framing and concrete infilling;
roof part tile, part concrete, part asphalt.
PLAN: 7-bay aisled nave and continuous chancel, with embraced
tower to west; south porch and vestry. Anchorage attached to
EXTERIOR: triple-gabled east end, centre part flanked by dwarf
buttresses, south gable on chamfered plinth; each has pointed
window of three foiled lights, the centre one with Decorated
tracery, the outer ones with reticulated tracery. To north of
the north window is a small niche with a 4-centred head. North
side partly on chamfered plinth, with three weathered
buttresses, largely restored; entrance in 6th bay from east,
in chamfered 2-centred doorway with plain hoodmould.
Easternmost window pointed with reticulated tracery reset from
east end window, the head cut back by later re-roofing.
Remaining windows are square-headed, of 2 or 3 cinquefoiled
lights, in renewed hollow-chamfered surrounds. Rebuilt south
side incorporates several large fragments on incised coffin
lids. Windows are of 3 cinquefoiled lights with chamfered
surrounds and mullions, beneath square heads and hoodmoulds.
Porch entered from east side through 2-centred chamfered
doorway beneath coved hoodmould. At west end, 3-stage tower
and spire, flanked by gabled ends of north and south aisles.
Tower ground stage square on plan; upper stages octagonal,
weathering at base of alternate faces forming bases of slim
buttresses. Openwork parapet at base of octagonal spire
surmounted by C18 brass weathercock. On tower ground stage,
west window is of three cinquefoiled lights in 2-centred head,
with, above, an ogee-arched trefoil-headed niche. Second and
third stages have windows to each cardinal face: on second
stage, windows are of 2 lights in flattened 2-centred head;
those on third stage, transomed, of 2 lights. West windows to
north and south aisles are 2-centred, of 3 cinque-foiled
lights with one tier of panel tracery.
In all parts of the church, much window tracery has been
Anchorage: one-and-a-half storeys; 1 bay north front with pent
half bay to west. Entrance is C20 board door to south of pent
bay. Full bay raised on arch-braced concrete deck, jettied on
north side with 4-light oriel window and coved eaves
surmounted by embattled cresting. Half bay has single light
windows to north and west, and bargeboarded eaves. All windows
are trefoil-headed square lattice casements, those in oriel
with carved panel tracery and risers carved with roses and
INTERIOR: chancel: double-chamfered jambs of east window
original, incorporating carved demifigure at each side, at
springing point of inner chamfer. In chancel north wall,
square-headed aumbry of paired trefoil-headed niches. In
south-east corner 2 bays of C12 wall arcade survive, of
trefoil-headed niches on attached shafts with bell capitals,
in 2-centred arches separated by continuous band of dogtooth
North and south arcades of 2-centred arches, either single or
double chamfered, some chamfers slight, some broad. Piers and
responds mainly octagonal, the easterly with square abaci,
hollow-chamfered underneath, the westerly with octagonal
capitals and square abaci with crudely broached angle stops.
Three piers earlier. One in north arcade is monolithic Roman
column shaft re-used with roll-moulded base and square abacus,
hollow-chamfered on under side; second one in north arcade is
cylindrical with necking, bell capital carved with nailhead
moulding and chamfered round abacus, on double roll-moulded
base. In south arcade, one pier is cylindrical with necking,
hollow-chamfered capital and square abacus, on water-holding,
double roll-moulded base. Third pier from east in north arcade
has tonsured demifigure corbel supporting a polygonal shelf on
west face. Tower arches are hollow-chamfered and die into
octagonal and half-octagonal piers and responds on square
bases with crude broach stops. In north wall beneath tower is
small pointed chamfered doorway leading to newel stair,
corbelled out over north-west corner. South doorway within
porch is pointed arch of one continuous order, roll-moulded on
each side of band of nailhead moulding. In west wall of south
aisle are two square chamfered openings, one blocked,
connecting with former anchorage.
Roofs. Chancel and three eastern bays of north and south
aisles have 6 trusses of arch-braced moulded principals on
angel-corbelled hammerbeams, with moulded collars and purlins,
and carved bosses. Wall plates finished with embattled
cresting. In north aisle, three corbels, wall posts and
chamfered wall plate survive from earlier roof.
STAINED GLASS: the Church is notable for containing the finest
collection of medieval glass in York, mostly C15, outside York
FITTINGS: include: chancel screens by E Ridsdale Tate, of
1906. Hexagonal pulpit with painted decoration, dated Anno
Dom. 1675. Medieval octagonal bowl font on octagonal stem with
moulded foot. C18 Benefaction, Commandment, Credence and
Mayoral Boards. Sculpture: by tower south pier, carved female
head with traces of paint; round stoup on square block.
Carvings: misericorde in Chancel, carved with pelican in
piety, and the monogram and arms of John Gilyot, Rector
1467-72/3; image of King David playing the harp, possibly from
MONUMENTS: include a cartouche to John Etty, d.1709, on south
aisle wall. Floor slab variously to John Stoddart, Rector,
inducted March 1593, to Joan Stoddart, d.1599; to James, son
of Thomas Pennyman, d.1699, and Esther, wife, 1745. Black
marble floor slab to Joshua Witton, d.1674.
Brasses include: black lettered plate to William Stockton,
d.1471, and Robert Colynson, d.1458, both Lord Mayors of York,
and to Isabella, widow of Robert Colynson, second wife of
William Stockton, set in floor slab to John Wardall; plate
inscribed to Thomas Clerk, d.1482, and wife Margaret, set in
marble floor slab with Evangelists' symbols (one missing).
Wall plates to Thomas Askwith, d.1609, and wife Anne; and to
Charles Townley, d.1712.
(Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York:
Edinburgh: 1980-: 228-230; City of York: RCHME: South-west of
the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 3-10).
Listing NGR: SE6005251758
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings