This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.957 / 53°57'25"N
Longitude: -1.0893 / 1°5'21"W
OS Eastings: 459854
OS Northings: 451600
OS Grid: SE598516
Mapcode National: GBR NQTP.Y8
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.7SJT
Entry Name: Micklegate House and Attached Railings and Lamp Brackets
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Last Amended: 14 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257285
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464030
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Micklegate Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
1112-1/15/669 (North side)
14/06/54 Nos.88 AND 90
Micklegate House, and attached
railings and lamp brackets
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.88 AND 90
(Formerly Listed as:
Railings and lamp brackets of Nos 88
Town house with railings and lamp brackets attached to front.
Dated 1752, with C19 and C20 alteration and extension. For Sir
John Bourchier of Beningbrough, probably by John Carr.
MATERIALS: front of orange-red brick in Flemish bond on
stone-faced basement; rusticated quoins and doorcase of
painted stone: rear of buff-pink brick with orange-red brick
dressings. Dentil eaves band beneath projecting modillion
cornice of timber; slate roof with brick stacks. Railings and
lamp brackets of wrought-iron on low plinth of moulded stone.
EXTERIOR: basement and 3 storeys; 7-bay front, three centre
bays pedimented and breaking forward. Pedimented doorcase of
detached Corinthian columns in centre has door of 6 raised and
fielded panels with radial overlight in rusticated
round-arched surround with moulded imposts. At right end is
panelled service door with divided overlight. Both doors
approached by steps, those to front door shaped and with
anthemion pattern bootscrapers. Windows are sashes, of 12
panes on ground and first floors, 6 panes on second floor, all
beneath gauged brick arches with stone fasciated keyblocks.
Sill bands to ground and first floor windows; raised bands of
painted stone to first and second floors.
Rear: basement and 3 storeys. Central round-arched
radial-glazed staircase window between ground and first
floors. Remaining windows are sashes, 12- or 6-paned, with
brick arches and stone sills. Raised brick bands to first and
second floors. Moulded cornice. Dated rainwater goods, stamped
with the initials JMB and the Bourchier crest.
INTERIOR: cellars: brick vaulted. In one room, second kitchen
fireplace and bread oven survive.
Ground floor. Entrance hall: stone-flagged floor; moulded dado
rail; carved marble fireplace; plaster panelled ceiling with
enriched modillion cornice. Panelled round arch with moulded
imposts leads to stairhall at rear. Left front room: dado
rail, panelled walls and enriched cornice; marble fireplace
with fluted frieze and cornice shelf beneath bolection moulded
overmantel. Eared doorcases, with pulvinated friezes and
dentilled cornices. Right front room: fitted cupboards and
drawers. Staircase hall: stone-flagged floor. Open string main
staircase to first floor has cantilevered stairs with three
balusters, alternately turned, fluted and twisted, to each
tread, and moulded serpentine handrail, wreathed at foot
around turned newel. Matching ramped-up dado panelling.
Staircase window is round-headed radial-glazed sash in Ionic
arch on fluted pilasters. Secondary staircase to second floor
has turned balusters and ramped-up moulded handrail. Left rear
room: moulded marble fireplace and firegrate with pulvinated
frieze beneath bolection-moulded overmantel. Alcove cupboard
with C19 glazed doors to right of fireplace. Painted glass
inserts in windows by William Peckett. Right rear room:
segment-arched kitchen fireplace.
First floor. Stairwell: enriched modillion cornice. Ceiling of
plaster panels enriched with arabesques of leaves and
tendrils, and medallions containing busts in relief.
Pedimented doorcases on landing are later replacements. Left
front room: moulded plaster ceiling, cut by inserted partition
wall: central panel of dog and crane in relief, framed in
asymmetrical scrolls and foliage, and four corner panels each
enclosing a relief moulded head. Left rear room: panelling;
Roof. 4 numbered principal rafter trusses with notched and
pegged joints. Cross-gabled roof at rear renewed.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings are swept up front steps to
doorcase with palmette bootscraper at each side. Railings are
of square section with barbed spear tips and incorporate
scrollwork panels with twisted finials. Doorcase is flanked by
elaborate scrolled lamp brackets with rinceaux.
(RCHME: City of York: London: 1972-: 85-86).
Listing NGR: SE5985451600
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings