This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9574 / 53°57'26"N
Longitude: -1.0884 / 1°5'18"W
OS Eastings: 459914
OS Northings: 451639
OS Grid: SE599516
Mapcode National: GBR NQVP.54
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.7SZK
Entry Name: Number 68 and Verandah Railings Attached at Rear
Listing Date: 1 July 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257309
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464012
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Micklegate Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
1112-1/15/658 (North side)
and verandah railings attached at
House and railings attached to verandah spanning basement area
at rear. Mid C17, with earlier origins; remodelled with added
third storey c1823; late C19 and C20 alteration and
renovation. Front of stucco, rear of brick, ground and first
floor painted; moulded cornice and low parapet at front,
masking hipped roof of slate. Cast-iron verandah railings.
EXTERIOR: basement and 3 storeys; 2-window front. Doorcase of
Doric pilasters, frieze and cornice, with round-arched
architrave: recessed door of six raised and fielded panels
beneath radial fanlight. To right, C20 shopfront. To right of
first floor, inserted canted bay window with moulded dentil
cornice over pulvinated frieze. Remaining windows are of 2
lights, in raised moulded architraves with painted sills. All
windows are casements. Moulded bands at first and second floor
Rear: 3 storeys and attic; 2-window gabled front. Ground floor
window to right is tripartite with panelled half doors beneath
centre sash opening on to verandah. First floor window to
right also tripartite with 12-pane centre sash; other windows
are 12-pane sashes beneath flat arches of brick. Circular
window in pedimented gable.
Railings attached to verandah spanning basement area at rear
are alternately straight and serpentine.
INTERIOR: cellars: room to rear left has plain fireplace in
which set pot survives the removal in 1987 of early C19 range.
Room to right is groined, and said to be of brick beneath
Ground floor: entrance passage leads to stairhall, both paved
with diagonally set flags. At end of entrance passage, screen
of two round arches beneath moulded cornice leads to
stairhall; arches are moulded with keyblocks, on square
section centre pier with moulded impost and plain base. Close
string staircase rising to first floor has bulbous balusters,
square newels with ball finials, and broad, moulded handrail.
Original 2-panel door beneath stairs, to left of length of
studded wall, now boarded over, leads to stone newel stair to
cellars. Opposite foot of main staircase, early C18 door of 6
fielded panels in fluted architrave with frieze, angle blocks
and plain cornice hood, leads to small workshop. At rear of
hall, two early C19 6-panel doors have similar architraves.
Rear ground floor rooms not accessible at time of survey, but
in left room RCHM record ceiling with moulded beams and
cornice; fluted doorcase with angle paterae; and early
Victorian fireplace. In room to right, RCHM record ceiling
beams carried on stop-chamfered posts; a segment-headed recess
beside fireplace; and recessed cupboard with moulded surround
and Gothick-glazed doors (said to have been removed). On
staircase, 6-light window with moulded mullions originally
contained painted glass window of 1665 by Henry Gyles, in
possession of York Glaziers' Trust at time of survey. On
staircase half landing is a wall cupboard with small plank
door rehung on butterfly hinges.
First floor: on landing, 4 moulded doorcases with 6-panel
doors; one doorcase with 3-panel door rehung on iron pins.
Close string staircase to second floor, closed off behind
door, has stick balusters, turned newels and ramped-up moulded
handrail. Front room to right: moulded beams and cornice;
marble corner fireplace with tiled surround. Front left room:
marble chimneypiece with cast-iron hob grate; moulded beams
and cornice. Rear right room: fielded dado panelling and
moulded dado rail; plank cupboard door with pegged-on
panelling. Rear left room: marble chimneypiece with reeded
jambs and frieze, and angle blocks carved with flower posies;
moulded beams and cornice.
Second floor: several re-used 6-panel doors.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings attached to verandah spanning
basement area at rear are alternately straight and serpentine.
HISTORICAL NOTE: between c1650 and 1709, the house was the
residence of Edmund Gyles, glazier, and his son Henry, the
notable glass painter. It was also the meeting place of the
York Virtuosi, of which Henry Gyles was a leading member, and
consequently visited by a number of his distinguished
contemporaries, including Ralph Thoresby, the Leeds historian;
Dr Martin Lister, physician to Queen Anne; and artists William
Lodge and Francis Place. For some time, Francis Place lodged
with Henry Gyles. From 1813 to 1823, William Stead, carver and
monumental mason, was the occupant.
(City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 79;
York Historian: Pearson C: A Forgotten Memorial: the Family
Window of E and S Gyles, etc.: York: 1986-: 34-38).
Listing NGR: SE5991451639
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.