This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4175 / 51°25'2"N
Longitude: -0.2555 / 0°15'19"W
OS Eastings: 521405
OS Northings: 170160
OS Grid: TQ214701
Mapcode National: GBR 9S.D81
Mapcode Global: VHGR9.JM9Q
Entry Name: Edmunsbury and Stable Block
Listing Date: 13 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257315
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464018
Location: Kingston upon Thames, London, KT2
District: Kingston upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Coombe Hill
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Thames
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: New Malden and Coombe Christ Church and St John
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 27 SW BEVERLEY LANE
59/2/10033 Edmundsbury and stable block
House. 1928-30. Blunden Shadbolt, architect, for Mr and Mrs Hird with later alterations by Waterhouse and Ripley (1935), for Captain Barclay. Exposed, re-used timber and red brick; tiled roof Two main ranges, each of three storeys. Tall chimney stacks. Sweeping gabled roof North front: tall gabled range on left hand side by Shadbolt; extension to right, 1935, by Waterhouse and Ripley. The left hand range has an exposed timber 'frame', scattered fenestration with large mullioned window openings and leaded casement. The upper part of the gable overhangs the upper window. The extension to the right has a steep roof to match the existing range, with dormers of various sizes. The entrance to the house consists of oak double doors flanked by round-headed casement windows with leaded panes. West front: formed by the gable end of secondary range, with shallow projecting stack containing arched opening at ground floor level showing two windows. This elevation looks out over a sunken garden with flagged walkways, circular and semi-circular basins, niches in the walls and geometric compartments formed by low hedges. South front: sweeping roof with dormer; two unequal gables, one tile-hung, one with exposed timber and brick. Originally both were rendered. Left-hand gable has one large window opening; the right-hand gable has a single window on the second floor and three on the first floor. A large opening on the ground floor opens out onto a terrace with a high buttressed wall from which steps lead down to the garden, with stepped coped wall. East front: striking catslide roof through which a gable end emerges, with exposed timber beams and four-light mullioned window with leaded panes. Two dormers high up in the roof
INTERIOR: Triple-arched screen leads to a double-height entrance hall with oak panelling throughout. Stone fireplace in corner, timber door jambs with carved wooden spandrel in sunburst design. Stairs in corner lead to gallery with splat balusters. The gallery gives access to bifocated flight of stairs leading to attic rooms. Simple oak handrail and newels. Bedrooms on second floor have exposed timber beams in ceilings and walls, cupboards fitted with oak doors and iron hinges and bolts, and oak window frames; tiled sills. Exposed brick fire surrounds with heavy carved beams for mantelpieces. Ground floor: dining room and former library facing south have large openings for fires, one brick lined with metal hood; one built-out to form a curved hearth like a beehive, in red brick and Roman tiles. Exposed ceiling beams. Drawing room: stone balustrade and steps lead down into the room. On west wall, a large stone fire-surround with carved Coat of Arms inscribed: 'IN CRUCE SPERO -CEDENT ARMA -IN HAC VINCE'.
Stable block, east of house, by Waterhouse and Ripley, 1936. Open circle in plan; single-storey, of re-used red brick. Shaped gable above entrance; vaulted ceiling with door to hay loft. Thatched roof. Original doors to horse boxes and saddle rooms.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Blunden Shadbolt (1879-1941) lived and practised in Surrey. His buildings are typical of the 'Surrey' style in that they embody a fusion of the local vernacular as seen in sixteenth and seventeenth century farmhouses, and the love of Arts and Crafts use of traditional materials, beautifully detailed. 'Edmundsbury' is typical of his work in the re-use of old timber, brick and tile but brought together in an original and idiosyncratic building. The extension is in the spirit of the original house. SOURCE: 'The Thirties Society Journal' No.3 (1982), article on Shadbolt by Donald Campbell.
Listing NGR: TQ2140570160
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings