This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.99 / 50°59'23"N
Longitude: -3.9171 / 3°55'1"W
OS Eastings: 265547
OS Northings: 122926
OS Grid: SS655229
Mapcode National: GBR KX.KZFS
Mapcode Global: FRA 26PH.FSQ
Entry Name: Warkleigh House
Listing Date: 8 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1258734
English Heritage Legacy ID: 445591
Location: Satterleigh and Warkleigh, North Devon, Devon, EX37
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Satterleigh and Warkleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Warkleigh St John
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 62 SE SATTERLEIGH AND
4/190 Warkleigh House
Former rectory, now private dwelling. 1844 by Abbott of Barnstaple. Rendered stone
rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roof with shaped bargeboards. Apex cross to
entrance porch. Rendered stacks with triple shafts with moulded caps.
Plan. Consists of 3 parallel ranges, the rear range recessed slightly to left
(garden) side and extending well to the right as service wing. The front ranges are
2 rooms wide with a wide entrance passage which runs axially from the symmetrical 3-
bay entrance front including 2-storey entrance porch, through the 3 ranges to the
single storey polygonal rear porch. 3 principal rooms to left of the passage, and 2
rooms flanking principal staircase to right side, with service rooms housed in the
projecting right-hand section of the rear range. Tudor Gothic style.
2 storeys with attic storey. Symmetrical 3-bay entrance front, asymmetrical garden
front. All fenestration intact with transomed windows with diamond latticed glazing
pattern and hoodmoulds, French windows to ground floor. Entrance front has a 2-
light window above French window to each side of 2-storey entrance porch with 18<4
date plaque above 4-centred arched doorway with heavily moulded surround of double-
engaged colonettes. Quatrefoil and mouchette traceried spandrels. Cartouche over
inner doorway with inscription Gloria in Excelsis Deo flanking Star of David. Porch
has single light window to each floor on each side.
3-gabled garden front, the 2 right-hand gables forming symmetrical composition of
two 2-light windows above French windows with single light attic windows in the
gable. Recessed gabled bay at left and has a 3-light window'over French windows.
Conservatory extends to left with brick plinth, glazed above, canted bay at the
front with Adam style fanlights to the doorway.
Interior. Brief inspection suggested C19 joinery entirely intact. The entrance
hall and porch ceilings are plain vaulted.
Warkleigh House was built by William Thorold as a rectory in 1844, close to the old
Parsonage (q.v.). His family retained the house on his death in 1888. A new
rectory (the present Old Rectory) was subsequently established nearby, with the
result that the small settlement of Warkleigh has 3 former parsonages within a short
distance of each other.
Listing NGR: SS6554722926
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings