This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9855 / 50°59'7"N
Longitude: -3.925 / 3°55'30"W
OS Eastings: 264977
OS Northings: 122440
OS Grid: SS649224
Mapcode National: GBR KX.L9GC
Mapcode Global: FRA 26NH.YGL
Entry Name: Deason Cottages
Listing Date: 8 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1258615
English Heritage Legacy ID: 445317
Location: Satterleigh and Warkleigh, North Devon, Devon, EX37
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Satterleigh and Warkleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Warkleigh St John
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 62 SW SATTERLEIGH AND
3/175 Nos. 1-3 Deason Cottages
Former farmhouse, now converted into 3 cottages. Late C16/early C17, divided into 3
occupations probably in late C19, with alterations in mid and late C20. Painted
render to No. 1, roughcast rendered to Nos. 2 and 3. No. 1 (at left end) has thatch
roof, hipped at left end, Nos. 2 and 3 have asbestos slate roof with higher ridge
level. Tall rendered front lateral hall stack with bread oven projection. Rendered
lateral stack to rear right end.
Original plan obscured by later developments; but appears to have consisted of a 3-
room and cross-passage plan with an exceptionally narrow inner room to right of
hall, which was in the C17 extended by the addition of a larger parlour at the right
end. The passage was axially partitioned, probably in the C19, creating a small
room at the rear, which was extended circa 1930 partly into the hall. Steep C19
staircase immediately to right of passage running up front wall. The lower end was
also extended by the addition of 1-room and integral leanto at the left end. The
farmhouse was divided at the lower side of the passage and at the upper end of the
hall when converted into 3 occupations.
2 storeys. No. 1, at left end has 2-window range of small late C19 2-light
casements 3 panes per light. Ground floor has a 2-light window 2 panes per light to
right of hipped thatch porch roof with plank door. C20 single light window to left.
C20 flat-roofed extension to rear. Nos. 2 and 3 have 9-paned window to upper storey
in stack projection with plank door to left and two 2-light casements 6 panes per
light to right on each floor.
Hall has chamfered cross ceiling beam with large bar and runout stops. Parlour at
right end has chamfered axial ceiling beam with shallow step stops and short scroll-
stopped beam across the rear window projection beside the stack which has a
chamfered fireplace lintel. Roof raised and renewed circa 1930 over Nos. 2 and 3.
Interior of No. 1 not inspected.
Listing NGR: SS6497722440
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings