History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Hildeburgh

A Grade II Listed Building in Wirral, Wirral

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3909 / 53°23'27"N

Longitude: -3.1837 / 3°11'1"W

OS Eastings: 321378

OS Northings: 388880

OS Grid: SJ213888

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y67.J5

Mapcode Global: WH766.2179

Plus Code: 9C5R9RR8+9G

Entry Name: Church of St Hildeburgh

Listing Date: 17 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1259792

English Heritage Legacy ID: 443655

Location: Wirral, CH47

County: Wirral

Electoral Ward/Division: Hoylake and Meols

Built-Up Area: Hoylake

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Hoylake St Hildeburgh

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hoylake

Listing Text

SJ 28 NW HOYLAKE STANLEY ROAD
(south side)
Hoylake

4/34 Church of
17.10.86 St. Hildeburgh

- II


Church. 1897-9. By Edmund Kirby. Red brick and terracotta
with tile roof. Nave with aisles under lean-to roofs,
chancel with north organ loft and vestry, south chapel,
Aisles have windows of paired and triple lancets. North
west gabled porch, timber-framed on brick base. Clerestory
has cusped octofoil windows. West end has stepped gabled
buttresses rising above roof level. Lean-to baptistry has 3
square traceried windows. 4 lancets under cusped gables and
flanking blind lancets, top octofoil. Chancel has clasping
buttresses and east window with central cross and
quatrefoils to sides; consecration stone beneath. Tall
gabled chimneys to north; and south.. Vestry has half-hipped
gables and porch under cat-slide roof; hipped lean-to
extension to east. Chapel has canted end with 3 lancets;
south side has 3 lancets with gablets and bell in iron
frame; west vesica window over aisle roof. Interior: 5-bay
nave arcades, including narrow west bay, on round polished
granite columns. Scissor-braced roof on wall shafts;
cornice to clerestory. Octagonal font with tracery and
symbols of evangelists. Chancel and sanctuary arches with
continuous moulding. Low timber chancel screen and richly
decorated octagonal pulpit and tester. Choir stalls and
organ case. South 3-bay arcade with parclose screen and
arcading over. Sanctuary has richly decorated timber
reredos with panel of Good Shepherd in tile and mosaic.
North wall has 3 painted panels. South sedilia with cusped
arches and crocketed gables.


Listing NGR: SJ2137888880

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.