History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rectory Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Guiseley, Leeds

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8747 / 53°52'28"N

Longitude: -1.7049 / 1°42'17"W

OS Eastings: 419499

OS Northings: 442092

OS Grid: SE194420

Mapcode National: GBR JRJM.PS

Mapcode Global: WHC8X.SVBZ

Entry Name: Rectory Hall

Listing Date: 19 October 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1262939

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433684

Location: Leeds, LS20

County: Leeds

Electoral Ward/Division: Guiseley and Rawdon

Built-Up Area: Guiseley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Guiseley St Oswald King and Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Guiseley

Listing Text

AIREBOROUGH THE GREEN
SE 14 SE
LS20 (east side, off)
Guiseley
4/73 Rectory Hall
19.10.1962
GV II*

Rectory, now house. Dated 1601 on porch, but incorporating some fabric which
may be earlier; renovated, and altered internally, in 1907. Coursed squared
sandstone, stone slate roof. Rectangular 4-unit plan, with rear outshut, and
rear wing to right-hand end. Two and two-and-a-half storeys, 5 bays and
3 gables, almost symmetrical; chamfered plinth, continuous dripmoulds on
2 levels; central 2-storey gabled porch has Tudor-arched outer doorway with
moulded surround, a square datestone over the lintel enclosed by a dripmould
with lengthy inscription in Latin (see below) dated 1601. At 1st floor a
recessed transomed window of 3 round-headed lights with hollow spandrels, and
in the gable a 2-light window with a hoodmould, a diamond-shaped sundial over
this; stone gable coping with kneelers carrying open-work finials, and apex
finial. Otherwise, ground floor has transomed windows of 5, 7, 6 and
3 lights; 1st floor has windows with 5, 5, 5 and 3 round-headed lights; and
gables of outer bays have 2-light windows with hoodmoulds, gable copings with
kneelers bearing finials, the kneelers on the inner sides linked to parapets
over the inner bays, with the pseudo-gargoyles (perhaps ex-situ). Two ridge
chimneys flanking the porch, external chimney stack at left gable, another
chimney at right-hand gable. Lead downspouts and rainwater heads, those to
the left of the porch lettered "1907" and "JFH" respectively. Left return
wall has a large blocked window on each floor forward of the chimney stack, a
C20 canted bay window in C17 style to the rear of this. Right-hand return
wall has a blocked square window at ground floor and above this a corbelled-
out chimney and a transomed window of 5 round-headed lights (the outer lights
anciently blocked), a 2-light attic window, and gable coping with kneelers
and finials.

Interior: longitudinal partition between front range and rear outshut,
perhaps remains of former timber-framed building, with massive wall-posts
interrupted at 1st floor by a horizontal beam running at this level, but with
some exposed closed studded framing at 1st floor of the left end; principal
room, to left of porch, has very large beams and secondary beams with deep
chamfer and triangular stops at the ends and at the junctions, where free-
standing posts appear to be modern insertions; otherwise altered. g

Inscription on dated stone: "AND DONI : 1601 / FIDELIS PASTORIS NO / CAECI .
DUCIS . NON . LATRONIC / DOMUS ROBERTUS . MORVUS . RECTOR . ECCESIAE . DOMUS
/ FVNDATOR . VAE SACRILEGO / VAENIMICIA LEVI (?) R.M. DEUT 33 VII


Listing NGR: SE1949942092

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

AIREBOROUGH THE GREEN
SE 14 SE
LS20 (east side, off)
Guiseley
4/73 Rectory Hall
19.10.1962
GV II*

Rectory, now house. Dated 1601 on porch, but incorporating some fabric which
may be earlier; renovated, and altered internally, in 1907. Coursed squared
sandstone, stone slate roof. Rectangular 4-unit plan, with rear outshut, and
rear wing to right-hand end. Two and two-and-a-half storeys, 5 bays and
3 gables, almost symmetrical; chamfered plinth, continuous dripmoulds on
2 levels; central 2-storey gabled porch has Tudor-arched outer doorway with
moulded surround, a square datestone over the lintel enclosed by a dripmould
with lengthy inscription in Latin (see below) dated 1601. At 1st floor a
recessed transomed window of 3 round-headed lights with hollow spandrels, and
in the gable a 2-light window with a hoodmould, a diamond-shaped sundial over
this; stone gable coping with kneelers carrying open-work finials, and apex
finial. Otherwise, ground floor has transomed windows of 5, 7, 6 and
3 lights; 1st floor has windows with 5, 5, 5 and 3 round-headed lights; and
gables of outer bays have 2-light windows with hoodmoulds, gable copings with
kneelers bearing finials, the kneelers on the inner sides linked to parapets
over the inner bays, with the pseudo-gargoyles (perhaps ex-situ). Two ridge
chimneys flanking the porch, external chimney stack at left gable, another
chimney at right-hand gable. Lead downspouts and rainwater heads, those to
the left of the porch lettered "1907" and "JFH" respectively. Left return
wall has a large blocked window on each floor forward of the chimney stack, a
C20 canted bay window in C17 style to the rear of this. Right-hand return
wall has a blocked square window at ground floor and above this a corbelled-
out chimney and a transomed window of 5 round-headed lights (the outer lights
anciently blocked), a 2-light attic window, and gable coping with kneelers
and finials.

Interior: longitudinal partition between front range and rear outshut,
perhaps remains of former timber-framed building, with massive wall-posts
interrupted at 1st floor by a horizontal beam running at this level, but with
some exposed closed studded framing at 1st floor of the left end; principal
room, to left of porch, has very large beams and secondary beams with deep
chamfer and triangular stops at the ends and at the junctions, where free-
standing posts appear to be modern insertions; otherwise altered. g

Inscription on dated stone: "AND DONI : 1601 / FIDELIS PASTORIS NO / CAECI .
DUCIS . NON . LATRONIC / DOMUS ROBERTUS . MORVUS . RECTOR . ECCESIAE . DOMUS
/ FVNDATOR . VAE SACRILEGO / VAENIMICIA LEVI (?) R.M. DEUT 33 VII


Listing NGR: SE1949942092

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.