History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade I Listed Building in Brushford, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0208 / 51°1'15"N

Longitude: -3.5419 / 3°32'30"W

OS Eastings: 291949

OS Northings: 125738

OS Grid: SS919257

Mapcode National: GBR LF.HY8X

Mapcode Global: FRA 36GF.3XY

Plus Code: 9C3R2FC5+86

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 6 April 1959

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263949

English Heritage Legacy ID: 429118

Location: Brushford, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA22

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Brushford

Built-Up Area: Brushford

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in




9/39 Church of St Nicholas


Parish Church. C15, nave refenestrated early C16, porch rebuilt 1725, tower largely rebuilt 1887, 1889 church reseated,
tower arch opened, 1890 porch restored, 2 new windows in north side of nave; others reglazed and font restored,
architect C H Samson; 1907 chancel panelled and new gallery with organ added and ceiling inserted in tower; 1931
Herbert memorial chapel completed to 1926 designs by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Squared and coursed red sandstone tower,
roughcast nave, squared and irregularly coursed iron stone chancel, Ham stone dressing to memorial chapel, slate roofs,
coped verges to porch only. West tower with stair turret, 2-bay nave, south porch, chancel with memorial chapel set
into hillside, chapel linked to chancel by tomb beneath canopy, entrance now via west door, Crenellated and diagonally
buttressed tower, renewed merlons, trefoil headed single light louvred bell openings, square headed lancet below,
string course, 3-light west window, west door; 3-light windows flanking single storey gabled porch, depressed chamfered
pointed arch opening, sundial dated 1855, similar inner doorway, medieval studded plank door with C14/C15 handle plate,
slate stone inscribed "This wall and porch was newley built in 1725", to right of porch tablet to John Goodwing, died
1774. C19 infill to junction of nave and chancel similar to that at Church of St Mary, Brompton Regis CP (qv), 2-light
cinquefoil headed window under hoodmouid in chancel, 3-light east window, chapel with narrow recessed tomb bay, gable
end with lancet flanking window in form of a cross, 3 lancets on north front with rusticated surrounds, arched heads
cutting string band which is returned to west gable end at base of tall lancet above ribbed door, rusticated surround
and coat of arms above, approached by lateral flight of steps with retaining wall, two 3-light windows to nave.
Interior: rendered, with Ham stone ashlar and cement facing in chapel. Unmoulded tower arch with jamb cut by doorway
giving access to pulpit set in roodscreen, chamfered jambs to tower arch largely obscured by organ loft, Plastered
barrel vault roofs to nave and chancel, latter with only axial ribs and bosses, nave with only roof ridge rib and
bosses, open ribbed roof to chapel, moulded compartment ceiling to tower, Five bay fan vaulted screen, much restored
with pulpit inserted. Jacobean altar table, two C17 joint stools, branch candelebra. Woodern gallery carried on 2 pairs
of columns. Tablet in tower to Robert Norris, rector died 1708. Remains of medieval stained glass in north window of
chancel, glass in south window said to be C16 French, 1890s stained glass, window to child of Luard family, died 1891
said to be by Morris and Co. Square Purbeck warble font with arcaded sides. Herbert memorial chapel: chest tomb with
effigy of A N H Molyneux Herbert of Pixton Park (qv) died 1923, by Cecil de Banquiere Howard of Paris under wooden
canopy designed by Lutyens, the motif of a cross with circles in the angles is repeated in the leading of the apricot
colour tinted glass. The chancel side of the canopy, above the coved cornice, has 6 panels with painted coats of arms,
cresting on chapel front. A regimental sword in a billeted frame hangs on the west wall above the effigy, Door in west
wall of chapel and one on south site qiving access to area behind tomb. A minor though none the less interesting
example oF Lutyens' work which deserves a better fate than a general purpose storeroom. At time of survey it contains
some broken C17 bench ends. The porch, no longer used, contains a late medieval poor chest and remains of stocks, upper
half restored. (Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset 1958; Kelly's Directory, l914; Photograph in

Listing NGR: SS9194925736

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.