History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lowe Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Wem Rural, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8704 / 52°52'13"N

Longitude: -2.7432 / 2°44'35"W

OS Eastings: 350070

OS Northings: 330583

OS Grid: SJ500305

Mapcode National: GBR 7J.R64H

Mapcode Global: WH8B1.T3XT

Entry Name: Lowe Hall

Listing Date: 28 October 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1264453

English Heritage Legacy ID: 427780

Location: Wem Rural, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Wem Rural

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Wem St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Wem

Listing Text

WEM RURAL C.P. LOWE
SJ 53 SW
6/148 Lowe Hall
-
28.10.60
GV II
Farmhouse. Dated 1666, largely remodelled early C19 with late C19
and C20 additions and alterations. Red brick encasing timber frame;
machine tile roof with coped verges on carved kneelers. L-plan with
2 storey brick outshut and gabled range housing staircase to rear on
left and C19 additions parallel with rear range. 2 storeys and gable-
lit attic with stepped eaves cornice; 3-window front, 4-paned sashes
with segmental heads. Central entrance, 6-panel door with rectangular
barred overlight under pedimented bracketed hood. External end stacks
with tops rebuilt in late C19 brown brick. Datestone "1666" with
armorial shield directly below eaves to centre. Gable of rear range
rebuilt in late C19 or early C20 brick but retaining projecting double-
purlin ends. Gabled staircase projection has timber framing to apex
with V-struts from collar; late C19 two-storey additions in angle incorporate
axial ridge stack with 3 rebated and attached diagonal shafts. Interior:
inspection not possible at time of resurvey (March 1986) but known
to have a fine Jacobean staircase with flat open-work balusters and
large finials to the newel-posts; simple ornamental plasterwork below the
stairs and landings. Former home of the Lord Chief Justice, George
Jeffreys, created first Baron of Wem in 1685. B.O.E. p.310.


Listing NGR: SJ5007030583

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.