This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8894 / 52°53'21"N
Longitude: -0.9883 / 0°59'17"W
OS Eastings: 468169
OS Northings: 332919
OS Grid: SK681329
Mapcode National: GBR 9KW.WGL
Mapcode Global: WHFJC.SMLR
Entry Name: Grantham Canal, 9 3/4 Miles Post Approximately 100 Metres North of Spencer's Bridge
Listing Date: 23 June 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264664
English Heritage Legacy ID: 426874
Location: Owthorpe, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG12
Civil Parish: Owthorpe
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Owthorpe
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
OWTHORPE GRANTHAM CANAL
4/130 9¾ miles post approx.
- 100 metres north of
Canal milepost. Late C18. Cast-iron post with rounded top and
moulded edges. Raised letters read: "9¾ MILES FROM THE TRENT".
The No. 9¾ has been painted on.
The canal was authorised in 1793 and this section was built by James
Green, Surveyor, employed by Lord Middleton of Wollaton Hall.
C Cove-Smith. The Grantham Canal Today, 1974.
Listing NGR: SK6816932919
Other nearby listed buildings