History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hodges Barn

A Grade II Listed Building in Shipton Moyne, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6063 / 51°36'22"N

Longitude: -2.1526 / 2°9'9"W

OS Eastings: 389528

OS Northings: 189729

OS Grid: ST895897

Mapcode National: GBR 1PD.8KT

Mapcode Global: VH95K.MWWH

Entry Name: Hodges Barn

Listing Date: 16 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1264983

English Heritage Legacy ID: 426398

Location: Shipton Moyne, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Shipton Moyne

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Shipton Moyne St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Shipton Moyne

Listing Text

SHIPTON MOYNE -
ST 8889-8989
16/155 Hodges Barn
II

Former barn and columbarium known as "Hodges Piece" in 1499,
probably mostly of late C17/early C18 on some remaining older
fabric, converted to house in late 1930s in Queen Anne style.
Thin coursed stone with chamfered offset at approximately 1.5m
above ground, alternating flush quoins, moulded cornice, hipped
stone slate roof, stone lateral stacks of C20 with offset and
moulded cornice. Symmetrical composition with former opposed
central cart entries to north and south with additional storey
above cornice forming square tower columbaria with cornice swept up
at corners and with hemispherical domes. Cart entries now
infilled with stone and forming entrance to north and garden door
to south. Formal south front of C20 is symmetrical, with 3
windows flanking columbarium tower, 12-pane sashes in bolection
moulded keyed architraves with moulded sills and sill brackets,
with ground floor windows slightly larger and with cambered heads
in centre. Central tower has radial glazed sash over cornice,
cambered head below, both also with keyed moulded architraves, and
swan-neck pediment to doorcase with half-glazed double doors and
radial fanlight. Left hand return has similar fenestration.
North front has plainer, unsymmetrical fenestration. Central
feature has similar radial sash above cornice, keyed oculus below
and pedimented doorcase with 6-panel door. Two small single-
storey wings with moulded parapet to ends. South front has semi-
circular stone balustrade with moulded coping set in front with 3
central steps, returning to meet extended flank walls of house with
2 steps in return sections. The barn was originally part of the
Manor House complex built by the Hodges family and burnt down in
1556. The interior was converted in the same Queen Anne style and
has consistently authentic period features. Converted by Lawrence
Methuen.
(David Verey, Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: the
Cotswolds, 1979)


Listing NGR: ST8952889729

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.