This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8566 / 52°51'23"N
Longitude: -0.9739 / 0°58'25"W
OS Eastings: 469188
OS Northings: 329279
OS Grid: SK691292
Mapcode National: GBR BMM.SQN
Mapcode Global: WHFJL.0GJF
Entry Name: Church of St Luke
Listing Date: 1 December 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264986
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425592
Location: Hickling, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, LE14
Civil Parish: Hickling
Built-Up Area: Hickling
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Hickling
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
HICKLING MAIN STREET
SK62NE (east side)
6/70 Church of St Luke
Church. Predominantly C14, clerestory and porch C15, chancel rebuilt
1845, tower rebuilt 1873, general restoration 1886. Thinly coursed
rubble with ashlar dressings. Ashlar tower. Lead roofs. West
tower, 4-bay nave with lean-to north and south aisles and south porch.
3-bay chancel. Tall 3-stage tower with angle buttresses, 3-light
west window, 2-light bell-chamber openings, decorative frieze and
crenellated parapet. Embattled south porch. Two 2-light south
aisle windows with cusped lights. Two 2-light north aisle windows
with geometrical tracery and a simply moulded doorway. The chancel
windows are of 2 and 3 lights with square heads, Perpendicular tracery
and deep square hood moulds. The chancel is also embattled. Built
into the west wall of the south aisle is an early C14 coffin lid with
relief carving of naturalistic foliage growing from a cross with stepped
base and foiled head.
Interior: 4-bay north and south arcades with double-chamfered arches
on octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Nave roof has massive
quadrant moulded tie-beams, and some purlins are similarly moulded.
Chancel arch on round responds which are slightly filleted. Piscina,
south aisle, east end. Octagonal font with plain shields and angels
under the bowl. The cover is simple with a re-cut centre piece dated
1665. Small poor-box on a pedestal, carved in raised letters in sunk
panels on 3 sides:
REME THE POORE
HF 16 85 RB
The south door has delicate C13, flowing ironwork. At the east end
of the south aisle is an excellent mid C10 Saxon coffin lid with much
interlace, a cross and 2 beasts. Bench ends with heads on the arms
and in the poppy heads. A brass on the chancel floor of 1521 to Master
Ralph Babington, rector.
N Pevsner. The Buildings of England, 1979.
Listing NGR: SK6918829279
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings