This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8005 / 54°48'1"N
Longitude: -3.1431 / 3°8'35"W
OS Eastings: 326610
OS Northings: 545663
OS Grid: NY266456
Mapcode National: GBR 6DHX.BY
Mapcode Global: WH6Z7.PLGR
Plus Code: 9C6RRV24+5Q
Entry Name: Stoneraise Farmhouse and Attached Outbuildings
Listing Date: 31 August 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1265018
English Heritage Legacy ID: 426387
Location: Westward, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA7
Civil Parish: Westward
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Westward St Hilda
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
763- 112/10002 Stoneraise Farmhouse
and attached outbuildings
Farmhouse and attached outbuildings, formerly barn and stable, now dwelling and stores. Late C18, incorporating elements of an earlier house, including lintol dated 1677, remodelled and extended early C19. Random rubble sandstone, the house with ashlar red sandstone dressings, and rendered brick gable chimneys. Slate roof covering to house, and to most of the outbuildings, some stone slate to eaves of stable at rear, and to barn offshut, C20 sheeting to barn and stable offshut. 'L' shaped range of buildings, with former barn to west, at right angles to house and former stable aligned east-west. HOUSE: 2 storeys, 2 bays with central doorway and half-glazed door set in flush ashlar surround. Flanking the doorway are stacked glazing bar sashes, 6 over 6 panes, within flush ashlar surrounds. Rear elevation with deeper roof slope over service rooms and staircase has tall, coupled stair windows to upper floor, flanked by stacked smaller windows of various patterns to either side. INTERIOR: 1 and 1/2 room depth plan, with central entrance hall leading to rear staircase and service rooms. Grained C19 6-panel doors with raised and fielded panels, stick baluster staircase, range to scullery with hearth-crane and bread oven, meat hooks and stone sconces or benches to pantry small cast iron hob grate to bedroom, disturbed hearths elsewhere. OUTBUILDINGS: Barn to west with advanced porch to east elevation, with full-height double doors within. Slit breathers to west gable and rear wall. Connecting range to north of barn and west of house with doorway beneath re-used lintol with moulded soffit, and bearing an inscription 'W.I.A. 1667'. Former stable to east with wide doorway, vertically-boarded door with slit vents, overloft door above and mounting block to right.
HISTORICAL NOTE: this farmstead site may have C17 origins, with house and outbuilding range in line, and of a common height. The house deeds show that the farm became part of Lord Egremont's estate, and the C19 remodelling and enlargement may date to the period of estate ownership. Part of the outbuilding range is thought to have been used as a Quaker meeting house, although no physical evidence remains of that usage. Stoneraise farm represents an intact example of an late C18 small scale vernacular farmstead, remodelled in the C 19, which retains its plan form and representative range of outbuildings, and within the farmhouse, a largely unaltered C19 interior.
Listing NGR: NY2661045663
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings