This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8005 / 54°48'1"N
Longitude: -3.1316 / 3°7'53"W
OS Eastings: 327348
OS Northings: 545661
OS Grid: NY273456
Mapcode National: GBR 6DKX.TX
Mapcode Global: WH6Z7.VLXP
Entry Name: Stoneraise Place
Listing Date: 24 August 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389569
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488257
Location: Westward, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA7
Civil Parish: Westward
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Westward St Hilda
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY24NE Stoneraise Place
House. Dated 1753, but possibly earlier, remodelled in the late 19th Century. Rendered rubble sandstone with painted dressings, gable and ridge chimney stacks and a Westmorland slate roof covering, laid diminishing courses.
PLAN: Earlier through-passage plan suggested by opposed doorways main entrance to left side with 54 panel door within pilaster surround, set below rectangular overlight with glazing bars and shallow cornice. Flanking the doorway on both floors are glazing bar sash windows, 6 over 6 panes within moulded surrounds, and with shallow hoods set deep brackets. Further right, 2 further first floor sash windows, a second doorway with French windows, and a further ground floor sash window to the right hand end bay.
Rear elevation with doorway to right-hand end, with lintel inscribed 'j H S 175', (a reference to john and Sarah Harrison) and with chamfered surround and panelled door. Further right, glazing bar sashes 8 over 8 panes to ground floor and 6 over 6 pane above in plain painted surrounds. Small ground floor sash window to left of doorway with tiny panes may mark location of fire window, close to internal stack cross wall. 6 over 6 pane sash above, and further left, tall 6 over 6 pane stair window at half landing level.
INTERIOR: Detailing conforms to date of external remodelling, with 19th Century moulded plasterwork to passage and passage archway. Plain stick baluster stair with moulded and scrolled handrail. Late 19th Century hearth surrounds, and moulded surround to arched recess in ground floor reception rooms.
HISTORY: The house is the birthplace of the eminent physicist, William Henry Bragg (1862- 1942) who together with his son, Lawrence Bragg, was awarded Nobel Prize in 1915 for his investigation of crystal structures with the use of X-rays.
Listing NGR: NY2734845661
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings