History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Islekirk Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Westward, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7901 / 54°47'24"N

Longitude: -3.1532 / 3°9'11"W

OS Eastings: 325943

OS Northings: 544526

OS Grid: NY259445

Mapcode National: GBR 6FF1.4N

Mapcode Global: WH6Z7.JVPP

Entry Name: Islekirk Hall

Listing Date: 11 April 1967

Last Amended: 3 January 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1274096

English Heritage Legacy ID: 416212

Location: Westward, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA7

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

Civil Parish: Westward

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Westward St Hilda

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Westward

Listing Text

NY 24 SE WESTWARD

7/186 Islekirk Hall
(formerly listed as
11.4.67 Islekirk Hall and
adjoining cottage)

II*

House. Mid C16 with late C17 and C19 alterations. Red sandstone rubble and
dressed stone on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with stone chimney
stacks. Extension of coursed red sandstone rubble under Welsh slate roof with
brick chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 7 bays, with lower 2-bay extension to left. 2
top-glazed panelled doors in C19 painted stone surrounds. Sash windows, those
on both floors in 3 left bays in painted architraves with cross-mullions
removed; those to right in painted stone surrounds; 2 upper-floor painted false
windows. End wall to left has 3-light stone-mullioned window with round-headed
lights, partly blocked by extension. Extension has plank door in
alternate-block surround. Sash windows with glazing bars in painted stone
surrounds. Rear wall of house was the original front. Plank door in C19 stone
surround, which is blocking a former window or doorway of which 3-lights remain
above, partly blocked. 0thers 2- and 3-light double-chamfered with round-headed
lights, 2 blocked, those on extreme left with mullions removed and upper floor
window enlarged. Projecting 2-storey and single-storey outshuts cover remainder
of facade and are not of interest. 2 stones with diamond broaching suggest that
these and other stones come from the Roman fort at Old Carlisle nearby. Site of
the Hermitage of St Hilda. Tenanted by the Barwis family as early as 1529 and
was granted to them in 1544, remaining in that family until 1708. See Hudleston
& Boumphrey, Cumberland Families and Heraldry, 1978, pl5; Transactions
Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, 1,
pp135-151; li, ppl17-136.


Listing NGR: NY2594344526

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.