History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

47, Parliament Street Sw1

A Grade II* Listed Building in City of Westminster, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5019 / 51°30'6"N

Longitude: -0.1257 / 0°7'32"W

OS Eastings: 530187

OS Northings: 179771

OS Grid: TQ301797

Mapcode National: GBR HH.YS

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.RJW0

Entry Name: 47, Parliament Street Sw1

Listing Date: 5 February 1970

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1265868

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423725

Location: Westminster, London, SW1A

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: St James's

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Martin-in-the-Fields

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 3079 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER PARLIAMENT STREET, SWl
92/24 (east side)
5.2.70 No 47
G.V. II*
End of terrace former clubhouse. 1864-66 by C O Parnell,built as the Whitehall
Club. Portland stone, slate roof. "Florid Italian" (sic definition of the
period) palazzo, in richly modelled and carved C16 Venetian manner. 3 tall
storeys with attic storey in frieze, raised on basement. 3-window wide front, 3
groups of windows to Derby Gate return and 4-window wide rear. Rusticated
elevations with entrance in centre of Derby Gate return; archivolt arched
portal rising through basement and ground floor with much relief carving above
and flanked on ground floor level by pairs of Ionic pilasters. The ground floor
windows either side treated as Venetian windows set in shallow panels flanked
by Ionic pilasters and with carved spandrels. To Parliament Street the ground
floor windows have pilastered jambs and archivolt arches whilst the 1st floor
windows are architraved with pediments on consoles, framed on the ground floor
by an engaged coupled column Ionic order and on the 1st floor by a Corinthian
engaged order. The lst floor to Derby Gate has tripartite architraved windows
with segmental pediments over centre lights set in shallow panels framed by
Corinthian pilaster order. 2nd floor windows architraved with cornices on
consoles. Oval attic windows set in frieze below cornice. Plat band over
basement, ground floor entablature broken forward over capitals and with
engaged urns to corners; 2nd floor entablature confined to window bays; deep
and richly carved frieze beneath the crowning, enriched, modillion cornice;
stone "Venetian" chimney stacks above corners. Parnell was also architect of
the equally rich Italianate Army and Navy Club since demolished.


Listing NGR: TQ3018779771

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.