This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8278 / 53°49'39"N
Longitude: -1.6855 / 1°41'7"W
OS Eastings: 420796
OS Northings: 436878
OS Grid: SE207368
Mapcode National: GBR JSN5.WL
Mapcode Global: WHC9B.21MX
Plus Code: 9C5WR8H7+4Q
Entry Name: Calverley Old Hall
Listing Date: 25 May 1966
Last Amended: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1265966
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423424
Location: Calverley and Farsley, Leeds, LS28
Electoral Ward/Division: Calverley and Farsley
Built-Up Area: Bradford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Calverley St Wilfrid
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE208368 LS28 WOODHALL ROAD
PUDSEY (west side),
2/174 Nos 14, 16, 18, 20, 22,
25.5.66 and 24 (Calverley Old
Hall) (formerly listed
as No 14 and Nos 20,
22 and 24 Woodhall Road,
known as Calverley
Manor-house. Early C15 Solar Wing; Chapel before 1488 (mentioned
in the will of William Calverley c1488); Great Hall late C15 (dendro
dated 1485-95, Hillam, p.x) probably for another William Calverley who married Alice,
daughter of Sir John Saville of Thornhill and was knighted in 1497-8; West
Chamber Block mid C16 probably for another Sir William Calverley, High Sheriff
of Yorkshire (who through 2 marriages had 17 children); it is likely that the
western extension dates from his time; timber-framed solar wing encased in stone
c1630; North Wing added c1650; roof raised early C18 probably when the open hall
was floored and windows were inserted after the Calverley family took up residence
at nearby Esholt Hall, Bradford (q.v.). Large C15 dressed stone to hall and chapel,
C17 dressed stone to West Chamber Block and northern extension and to early C17
solar encasing, other hammer-dressed stone extensions (now cottages) attached to
left-hand return of chapel, stone slate roofs. 2 storeys. Reads from left:
gabled Chapel with West Chamber Block to rear to which is attached North Wing;
to right of Chapel and set back is gabled Solar Wing the front in line with Great
Hall at right angles with tall steeply-pitched roof. Chapel: 4 internal bays deep;
fine 3-light chamfered window with trefoil-headed lights to ritual east end;
partially restored to original form by Messrs. Ferrey and Mennim (York) c1981;
gable probably originally with exposed timber-framing replaced by hammer-dressed
stone. Right-hand return wall has another 2-light trefoil-headed lintel with C18
window broken across to left of later doorway with segmental-pointed arch set
above. Solar: 4-light double-chamfered mullioned window with 8-light mullioned-
and-transomed window above with ovolo-moulded mullions and decorative leaded lights
to upper window which has a hoodmould. Great Hall: large and wide (30' span).
Gabled porch at junction with solar (doorway perhaps in original position) with
sash window above; 4-light double-chamfered mullioned window with 5-light window
above; inserted C18 cottage doorway to left of 2-light flat-faced mullioned window
with 4-light window above, both with slightly recessed mullions and breaking into
the left jamb of original tall window of cinquefoil-headed lights. Break in
masonry above inserted window where gable-end rebuilt perhaps early C18 on original
foundation plinth with central basket-arched doorway with depressed Tudor-arched
former taking-in door above. Rear of hall range much altered by inserted later
windows has main feature of large lateral external stack (capped at eaves level)
with remains of tall chamfered window (blocked) to light lower hall end. 2 later
ridge stacks and one to front pitch, other stack at junction of hall with solar.
Attached range to left-hand return of chapel. U-shaped range: North Wing, 2-bay
extension to West Chamber block, 2 bays articulated by offset buttresses. These
bays have 3-light flat-faced mullioned window to each floor excepting easternmost
ground-floor bay which has 5-light double-chamfered mullioned window with cavetto
mullions. Set back is single bay originally timber-framed with C18 stone casing.
End stack to left and one to ridge at junction of 2 ranges. Breaking forward under
separate ridge with flatter pitch is C19 single-cell cottage of lesser interest.
Interior continued: much fine timber-work survives: Great Hall 6-bay hammer-beam
roof with moulded arch-braced trusses and purlins with hammer-beams and planks
concealing the wall-plate both ornamented with bratishing, possible spere-truss
(over site of screens passage has), of unusual form: single 'A' strut king-post
truss with a 'V' strut crossing in the form of a St Andrew's cross. Large 'A'
strut closing truss. 4-bay chapel roof similarly treated but with plain panels
or with oak planks applied to underside of rafters with thin ribbed members;
2 bays open, other 2 bays have floored gallery with full-height railings with
moulded balusters and cross members similar in treatment to a mullioned-and-
transomed window with, to meeting with truss, Gothic fretted panels. 4-bay solar
of post-and-truss construction with moulded tie-beams and richly-carved spandrels
principals and roof renewed but containing many medieval re-used timbers.
L-shaped dining room of West Chamber block has fine richly-moulded coffered
ceiling and Tudor-arched fireplace with moulded surround.
The seat of the Calverley family up to c1700. A gentry house with a fine late
medieval hall, solar and chapel and as such very rare within the county and of
considerable importance. Owned by the Landmark Trust.
J Hillam, Tree-ring analysis of oak timbers from Calverley Hall, West Yorkshire,
Illustrated in M L Faull, S A Moorhouse (editors), West Yorkshire Archaeological
Survey to AD1500, Vol 3 (1981), p851.
Listing NGR: SE2079636874
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings