This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8074 / 51°48'26"N
Longitude: -1.6364 / 1°38'11"W
OS Eastings: 425165
OS Northings: 212141
OS Grid: SP251121
Mapcode National: GBR 5SW.M3N
Mapcode Global: VHBZS.LT8V
Entry Name: Burford News
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 1 March 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1267016
English Heritage Legacy ID: 419982
Location: Burford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Burford
Built-Up Area: Burford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Burford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BURFORD AND UPTON HIGH STREET
AND SIGNET (East Side)
SP2512 (Enlargement) No 107 (Burford News)
7/82 (previously listed as
12.9.55 "Premises adjoining Bull
Hotel to the South)
House with shop premises. Late mediaeval remodelled C18 or early C19.
Front rendered over timber-frame, coped verges to Cotswold stone roof, to
left an ashlar corniced chimney (actually belonging to the Bull Hotel
(q.v.). L-plan, originally only one room deep. 3 storeys, attic and
cellar. One gabled dormer. 2 windows, wide-paned sashes with architraves.
Interior : evidence of jettied upper floors, heavily braced posts and
beams to ground and 1st floors, evidence of cill plates to front and rear
posts; chamfered joints on 1st floor. On first floor a Tudor arched
fireplace with wide frieze, smaller Tudor-arched fireplace with similar
detail in rear extension; well or cistern below of considerable diameter.
2-storey rear extension of 3 bays with timber-framed 1st floor and a
further 3-bay extension of one storey and attic.
Listing NGR: SP2516512141
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings