This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.399 / 51°23'56"N
Longitude: 0.5399 / 0°32'23"E
OS Eastings: 576777
OS Northings: 169727
OS Grid: TQ767697
Mapcode National: GBR PPP.C8Z
Mapcode Global: VHJLV.93RB
Entry Name: Former north entrance lodges and walls flanking 80 metres north west and 40 metres north east, HMS Pembroke
Listing Date: 6 June 1984
Last Amended: 5 December 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1267802
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462537
Location: Medway, ME4
Electoral Ward/Division: River
Built-Up Area: Gillingham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Gillingham St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
BARRACK ROAD (south side)
Former north entrance lodges and walls flanking 80 metres north west and 40 metres north east, HMS Pembroke
(Formerly Listed as: BARRACK ROAD (South side) Dockyard Barrack gate and walls flanking 80 metres north west and 40 metres north east)
Wall and two entrance lodges. 1897-1902 by Sir Henry Pilkington. Brown brick and stone dressings. Lodges square in plan flanking entrance, with walls to east and west.
EXTERIOR: walls have projecting buttressed piers; the two lodges are set diagonally, with central recesses rising through full height, and coved, battlemented stone parapets. Half-glazed doors, blocked in east lodge, and segmental-arched windows with splayed reveals.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: formed the north entrance to the HMS Pembroke, and part of a complete early C20 naval barracks, with the Captain's House, Mess block, barracks and other ancillary buildings (qqv).
Listing NGR: TQ7677769727
Other nearby listed buildings