This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.398 / 51°23'52"N
Longitude: 0.5365 / 0°32'11"E
OS Eastings: 576545
OS Northings: 169601
OS Grid: TQ765696
Mapcode National: GBR PPP.BFQ
Mapcode Global: VHJLV.74Z4
Plus Code: 9F329GXP+5H
Entry Name: Former Captain's House, HMS Pembroke
Listing Date: 6 June 1984
Last Amended: 5 December 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1267805
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462540
Location: Medway, ME4
Electoral Ward/Division: River
Built-Up Area: Gillingham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Gillingham St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
CENTRAL AVENUE (North side)
Former Captain's House, HMS Pembroke
(Formerly Listed as:CENTRAL AVENUE, HMS Pembroke (North side) Captain's House at HMS Pembroke)
House and office for the Captain of the barracks, now offices. Dated 1903, by Sir Henry Pilkington. Red brick and Portland stone dressings, three ridge stacks with sunken panels, and slate roof.
STYLE: Free Edwardian Baroque.
PLAN: L-shaped double-depth.
EXTERIOR: three storeys, attic and basement; three bay range. Set on rising ground, the right-hand entrance gable has impost bands to each floor and a cill band to the attic, with a coped gable with segmental pediment; the right-hand corner has an ashlar loggia with Ionic pilasters to a dentil cornice, open round arches to front and right-hand side, and an inner doorway and panelled door. Single-light ground floor and first floor windows with 4/4-pane sashes, and a three-light attic mullion window, and two cruciform panels either side of the first-floor window inscribed 1903 and ER.
The main elevation to the left, and the rear, have a full-height casement; main elevation has wide basement and ground floor three-light canted bays with cross windows to the ground floor, to a parapet; paired 6/6-pane sashes above, and large gabled eaves dormers with three-light mullion windows and a cornice over; the right-hand bay has a plain basement doorway, paired windows above and two narrow first-floor windows. Rear has a pedimented gable at the opposite end to that at the front, and a basement doorway. Right-hand rear wing, with a parapeted stair tower in the re-entrant with two 4/4-pane sashes in each side.
INTERIOR: a right-hand passage divided by pilasters to round arches, to a dogleg stair with square newels and balusters; plain stone fire surrounds.
HISTORY: part of a carefully planned early C20 barracks with the barracks church, mess blocks (Central Ave.), barracks (Pasley Rd), (qqv) and other ancillary buildings.
Listing NGR: TQ7654469602
Other nearby listed buildings