This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3972 / 51°23'49"N
Longitude: 0.5346 / 0°32'4"E
OS Eastings: 576420
OS Northings: 169511
OS Grid: TQ764695
Mapcode National: GBR PPP.9ZG
Mapcode Global: VHJLV.740R
Plus Code: 9F329GWM+VV
Entry Name: Former Chapel at HMS Pembroke
Listing Date: 6 June 1984
Last Amended: 5 December 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1267807
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462542
Location: Medway, ME4
Electoral Ward/Division: River
Built-Up Area: Gillingham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Gillingham St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
CENTRAL AVENUE (south side)
Former Chapel at HMS Pembroke
(Formerly Listed as: CENTRAL AVENUE (south side) Chapel at HMS Pembroke)
Formerly known as: Church of St George CENTRAL AVENUE. Chapel, now offices. c1905, chancel remodelled 1948 by Edward Maufe. Red brick with stone dressings and a slate roof.
STYLE: Romanesque Revival.
PLAN: apsidal chancel, transepts and aisled nave.
EXTERIOR: moulded stone plinth, two cill bands, and overhanging eaves, with buttresses between aisle and upper windows; small round-arched aisle and west windows, tall round-arched upper windows. Five bay chancel and seven bay apse, and a man-of-war weather vane; gabled north and south transepts have three lower and a single upper window, with an oculus in the gable. Eleven bay parapeted aisle with matching west porch with a round-arched door with strap hinges, and eleven bay nave; at the east end is a three bay bellcote with buttresses, three open round-arches with bells, and a round central pediment and finial. Gabled west end has three bays separated by buttresses, single lower windows to outer bays and five bay half-domed central apse, and stepped five-light round-arched upper window. South transept has a parapeted east vestry with a porch with weathered ashlar roof and gabled round-arched doorway.
INTERIOR: contains a chancel with boarded and ribbed wooden barrel vault, painted to represent night sky, ribs on clasped marble shafts, and nave has arch-braced crown post roof on moulded corbels, with octagonal piers to aisle arcades with double hollow chamfer arches dying into piers, and narrow aisles.
FITTINGS: organ, free-standing altar candle sticks, lectern and pews, all c1905. Reredos 1916 by W.D Caröe, allegory of the Allies in First World War.
STAINED GLASS: nave, mostly of Chatham ships, and memorial to George V.
HISTORY: part of the complete early C20 HMS Pembroke naval barracks, with the Captain's House, Mess block, barracks and ancillary buildings (qqv). A closely similar design to the chapel at HMS Drake, Plymouth.
Listing NGR: TQ7641969512
Other nearby listed buildings