History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boilershop

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gillingham, Medway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4011 / 51°24'3"N

Longitude: 0.5346 / 0°32'4"E

OS Eastings: 576403

OS Northings: 169941

OS Grid: TQ764699

Mapcode National: GBR PPP.3Z5

Mapcode Global: VHJLV.61ZR

Entry Name: Boilershop

Listing Date: 6 June 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1267821

English Heritage Legacy ID: 462556

Location: Medway, ME4

County: Medway

Electoral Ward/Division: River

Built-Up Area: Gillingham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Gillingham St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Gillingham

Listing Text


GILLINGHAM

TQ7669NW DOCK HEAD ROAD, Chatham Dockyard
686-1/1/56 (South side)
06/06/84 Boilershop

GV II*

Dry dock cover, now boilershop, disused. 1847, by Fox
Henderson & Co at Woolwich Dockyard, re-erected at Chatham
c1876. Cast- and wrought-iron frame with corrugated-iron
cladding and roof.
PLAN: rectangular with lower aisles.
EXTERIOR: single-storey; 11-bay range and 3-bay W extension.
Gabled ends with raking aisles, frame expressed externally,
with louvred ridge and moulded gutters. Irregular scattering
of small windows to sides. Lower side brick additions along
sides. A decorative square clock tower at the W end with
clocks to each face, and a louvred octagonal cupola and
finial.
INTERIOR: a rigid iron frame has cast-iron columns to
wrought-iron roof trusses, and aisles with segmental-arched
cast-iron braces with pierced spandrels.
HISTORY: covers for ship-building dry docks were introduced in
c1814 to protect wooden ships during construction against the
weather. The original building was cast and erected at No.4
slip, Woolwich, and re-erected at Chatham by convict labour
after Woolwich closed in 1865. It represents a significant
step forward in the development of rigid metal-framed
structures, and 'established the principal of (portal) bracing
through stiff joints',(Sutherland).
A fine group with the No.8, Machine Shop (qv), moved at the
same time from Woolwich, and the timber and metal slip covers
in Chatham Dockyard (qv).
(The Buildings of England: Newman J: West Kent and the Weald:
London: 1976-: 207; The Newcomen Society: Sutherland R J M:
Shipbuilding & the Long-Span Roof; Paper read at Science
Museum: 1989-: 16).


Listing NGR: TQ7639969945

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.