History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 8 Machine Shop

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gillingham, Medway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4018 / 51°24'6"N

Longitude: 0.5365 / 0°32'11"E

OS Eastings: 576531

OS Northings: 170022

OS Grid: TQ765700

Mapcode National: GBR PPP.4FH

Mapcode Global: VHJLV.71Z7

Entry Name: Number 8 Machine Shop

Listing Date: 6 June 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1267822

English Heritage Legacy ID: 462557

Location: Medway, ME4

County: Medway

Electoral Ward/Division: River

Built-Up Area: Gillingham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Gillingham St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Gillingham

Listing Text


GILLINGHAM

TQ77SE DOCK HEAD ROAD, Chatham Dockyard
686-1/6/57 (North side)
06/06/84 No.8 Machine Shop

GV II

Dry dock cover, now machine shop, disused. c1845 by Fox
Henderson & Co at Woolwich, re-erected and extended 1880.
Cast-iron frame with corrugated-iron cladding and
Mansard-style roof.
PLAN: rectangular aisled plan and 3-bay N extension.
EXTERIOR: single-storey; 15-bay range. Gabled ends with very
wide gambrel roof, with 7 blocked square headed dormer-type
louvres each side and ridge ventilator. Large central windows
to N and S, the latter divided horizontally into 2, flanked by
shallower side windows. Entrances in N and S with larger
sliding boarded doors.
INTERIOR: an iron frame has cast-iron I-section columns
tapering at the top, connected by high level segmental-arched
cast-iron braces, and with full-height cross braces to the
last but one bays each end; cantilevered principals are braced
each side of the columns with double tapered framed openwork
struts, and trussed purlins between the frames. Northern 3
bays have trusses with plate gussets and trusses members over
the aisles.
HISTORY: moved to Chatham from Woolwich Dockyard after it
closed in 1865. The earliest of the surviving metal-framed
slip covers, and apparently closely modelled on the earlier
timber covers such as that at No.3 slip, Chatham (qv). The end
bays may have been added when it was moved.
Part of a fine group of slip covers including the nearby
boilershop (qv), moved to Chatham at the same time. The Prom
(EW) factory, the third of the metal-framed buildings from
Woolwich, was demolished c1990.
(The Newcomen Society: Sutherland RJM: Shipbuilding & the
Long-Span Roof; Paper read at Science Museum: 1989-: 14).


Listing NGR: TQ7635270029

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.