This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4552 / 51°27'18"N
Longitude: -2.1109 / 2°6'39"W
OS Eastings: 392390
OS Northings: 172921
OS Grid: ST923729
Mapcode National: GBR 2SJ.M53
Mapcode Global: VH96C.CPD9
Entry Name: The Three Crowns Public House
Listing Date: 22 June 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1267865
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462470
Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Chippenham
Built-Up Area: Chippenham
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Chippenham with Tytherton Lucas
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST9272NW THE CAUSEWAY
930-1/12/230 (East side)
The Three Crowns Public House
Public house. Early C18 and late C19. Painted ashlar with
double-Roman and plain tile roofs, stone coping and stacks
with brick shafts to gable ends. The C18 west (left) block was
2-unit plan with late C19 block added to the east.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; symmetrical 2-window range. It now has a
double-Roman tile roof; eaves cornice; 1st-floor lintel band;
moulded string course to the ground-floor and cyma-moulded
stone-mullions to 3-light windows with C19 glazing, 2 fixed
panes to the outer lights sashes to the central lights. To the
2nd-floor centre is a blind 2-light window. The chamfered
doorway has a moulded hood on brackets and a C19 canted bay
window to the right.
The C19 block to the right has a cornice continuous with that
of the C18 block and a platband between floors. The
west-facing gable end of the C19 block has 2 blind windows to
the 1st floor, one to the ground-floor left and a doorway with
a moulded hood on brackets to the right. The south facade has
a plain tile roof and 2 full-height canted bays with hipped
roofs; 2/2-pane sash windows except that to the ground-floor
left which has 1/1 panes.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: ST9238672925
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings