This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.458 / 51°27'28"N
Longitude: -2.1139 / 2°6'50"W
OS Eastings: 392183
OS Northings: 173234
OS Grid: ST921732
Mapcode National: GBR 2SJ.DDW
Mapcode Global: VH96C.9MT4
Plus Code: 9C3VFV5P+6C
Entry Name: The Yelde Hall and the Council Chamber
Listing Date: 25 April 1950
Last Amended: 16 September 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1267996
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462345
Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Chippenham
Built-Up Area: Chippenham
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Chippenham with Tytherton Lucas
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST9273SW MARKET PLACE
930-1/10/136 (North side)
25/04/50 The Yelde Hall and The Council
(Formerly Listed as:
The Old Town Hall (The Yelde Hall),
The Council Chamber)
Formerly known as: The Old Fire Station MARKET PLACE.
Town hall. Early C15, re-roofed and renewed 1614. Large panel
timber-framed with irregularly-spaced uprights and various
tension braces on a limestone rubble base with freestone
quoins and dressings, stone slate roof.
PLAN: 5-bay plan with entry to 4-bay open hall with storeyed
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; one-window range. To the inside-right of
the east facade (front) are 2 small gables, that over the door
has a plaster coat of arms, J.S. and date 1776. To the far
right is an ashlar wall to a small lock-up yard, it has an
arched niche with hoodmould and dog-tooth coping to a cornice.
The north wall is C16 rubblestone replacing original frame to
the ground floor with 2 segmental arched openings below a
horizontal sliding sash window with 15 panes to each sash.
The north rubblestone wall continues round to the west side
for approx 3m with a loophole to the top. The timber-frame
then steps down to the plinth. Windows to the west wall have
INTERIOR: 4-bay collar-truss tie-beam hall roof with 2 tiers
of windbraces, similar 5th bay to the north. At the north end,
upstairs, is the former courtroom and council chamber,
including panelling and bailiff's chair. Beneath it was the
blind house or lock-up.
HISTORY: before 1580, when The shambles was built, the hall
had stood alone in the market place. Records exist of a blind
house in the C16 (1563) and accounts for renovating in 1614. A
notable survival of its type, remarkable for the retention of
its large-panelled timber-framing and the 1st-floor council
(Chamberlain, Joseph A: Chippenham: Chippenham: 1976-: 31; The
Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Cherry B: Wiltshire: London:
Listing NGR: ST9218273236
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings