This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4578 / 51°27'28"N
Longitude: -2.1138 / 2°6'49"W
OS Eastings: 392190
OS Northings: 173210
OS Grid: ST921732
Mapcode National: GBR 2SJ.DG1
Mapcode Global: VH96C.9MW9
Plus Code: 9C3VFV5P+4F
Entry Name: 62 and 63, Market Place
Listing Date: 22 June 1978
Last Amended: 16 September 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268013
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462324
Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Chippenham
Built-Up Area: Chippenham
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Chippenham with Tytherton Lucas
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST9273SW MARKET PLACE
930-1/10/132 (North side)
22/06/78 Nos.62 AND 63
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.62 AND 63
Also known as: Nos.62 AND 63 THE SHAMBLES.
House and shop, now house and 2 shops. Dated 1889 but
apparently mid C19. Limestone ashlar, hipped pantile roof with
brick stacks to rear. Double-depth plan.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; both units symmetrical 3-window range.
Continuous cornice and blocking course, pilasters to quoins
and party wall, platband below 2nd floor and string course
below 1st floor. Bracketed sills; 2/2-pane plate-glass sash
windows to the 2nd floor, plate-glass sashes with margin panes
to the 1st floor and centre of ground floor. No.62 to the
right, formerly a house and wider than No.63, has
semicircular-arched openings to the central range, the C20
door has 2 margin panes to the fanlight.
A C20 shop has been inserted to the right of the door. No.63,
always a shop, has recessed panels to pilasters flanking the
door and shop front which support a plain fascia. Between the
windows of the 2nd floor a plaque states AD 1889, below this
is a semicircular-arched window similar to that of No.62.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: ST9219373213
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings