History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Bear Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Chippenham, Wiltshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4575 / 51°27'27"N

Longitude: -2.1139 / 2°6'50"W

OS Eastings: 392180

OS Northings: 173179

OS Grid: ST921731

Mapcode National: GBR 2SJ.DCY

Mapcode Global: VH96C.9MTJ

Plus Code: 9C3VFV5P+2C

Entry Name: The Bear Hotel

Listing Date: 22 June 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268065

English Heritage Legacy ID: 462291

Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Chippenham

Built-Up Area: Chippenham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Chippenham with Tytherton Lucas

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Chippenham

Listing Text


CHIPPENHAM

ST9273SW MARKET PLACE
930-1/10/94 (South side)
22/06/78 No.12
The Bear Hotel

GV II

Hotel. c1850 remodelling of earlier property, with some C18
fabric to rear. Coursed Limestone rubble with freestone
dressings, stone slate roof, brick stacks with octagonal
ashlar shafts to gable ends. Tudor Revival style. Double-depth
plan with rear wings flanking courtyard.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics; symmetrical 3-window range. 3
forward-facing gables with tall cone-and-ball finials are
articulated by full-height semi-octagonal buttresses with
similar finials above the linking parapet. Hoodmoulds to
paired Tudor-arched sash windows with switch tracery tops;
cinquefoil heads to windows above the door. 2 canted bays with
hipped off-set stone roofs to the ground floor. The central
projecting porch has columns similar to the buttresses
supporting wide Tudor arches to front and sides. A stone bear
stands on a plinth to the centre. The sash windows above the
porch have cinquefoil heads.
The right return, also in the Market Place, is 4-window range
with forward-facing gables to each end, that to the left with
stack to the apex and entrance below, that to the right with a
finial and quatrefoil over a 2-light window to the 2nd floor
and one of 3-lights to the 1st floor over a hoodmould to a
gateway.
INTERIOR: dogleg central staircase with turned balusters and
C19 joinery including 4-panel doors.
HISTORY: a house on the site called Orwell House, originally
built in the mid C18 by John Provis, was still in occupation
in 1812.

Listing NGR: ST9218073179

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.