This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2093 / 52°12'33"N
Longitude: 1.4962 / 1°29'46"E
OS Eastings: 638958
OS Northings: 262544
OS Grid: TM389625
Mapcode National: GBR XQD.F2M
Mapcode Global: VHM7N.WQ9R
Entry Name: Hurts Hall
Listing Date: 25 September 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268178
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462123
Location: Saxmundham, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP17
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Saxmundham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Saxmundham St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM3862 HURTSHALL PARK
841-1/4/47 Hurts Hall
Country house. 1893; south front loggia extended in early C20.
Diapered brick with ashlar dressings and rendered window
surrounds; machine tile roofs with irregularly placed banks of
2 to 6 octagonal brick stacks. Jacobethan style: elongated
rectangle running east-west with entrance to north.
EXTERIOR: corners articulated by tall gabled projections and,
at south-east corner, by polygonal bay through 2 storeys.
Principal fronts to west and south.
West front has tall gabled projection to left with a
ground-floor bay window consisting of 3 pairs of cross
casements. Single 2-light cross casement to first floor,
1-light casement to attic. Apex and base pinnacles to gable.
Canted bay in angle with main elevation and three 2-light
cross casements to right (2 to first floor). Canted 2-storey
corner bay at south-east corner, with four 2-light cross
casements to each floor. Crenellated parapet.
South front with a 4-bay stone open loggia on Corinthian
columns with a balustrade.
Throughout, windows are generally 2-light cross casements
arranged singly or grouped.
INTERIOR: passageway from north entrance leads to 2-storey
staircase hall. Open-well staircase with square panelled newel
posts terminating with ball finials on volutes at the top and
supported on consoles at the base. Twisted balusters. Closed
string. Hall with teak wainscote panelling. Plastered ceiling
of geometric patterns. Main reception rooms to south and
south-east of hall with further, more elaborate, geometric
plastered ceilings. Wide open arches to upper staircase
The present house replaced a house by Samuel Wyatt of 1803,
burnt down in 1889.
(BOE: Pevsner N: Suffolk, 2nd Edition: Harmondsworth: 1974-:
Listing NGR: TM3895862544
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings