This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3941 / 51°23'38"N
Longitude: 0.5271 / 0°31'37"E
OS Eastings: 575907
OS Northings: 169145
OS Grid: TQ759691
Mapcode National: GBR PPP.G31
Mapcode Global: VHJLV.3704
Entry Name: Former Admirals Offices and Forecourt Walls and Attached Iron Railings
Listing Date: 24 May 1971
Last Amended: 21 November 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268199
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462100
Location: Medway, ME4
Electoral Ward/Division: River
Built-Up Area: Gillingham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Gillingham St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 76 NE CHATHAM MAIN GATE ROAD
(South side) Chatham Dockyard
Former Admiral's Offices and
forecourt walls and attached
Offices. 1809, by Edward Holl, architect for the Navy Board. Brick with stone dressings and 4 brick axial stacks and a slate roof. Late Georgian style. PLAN: double-depth with a central axial passage, rear wing and mid-late C19 N extension. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 6: 15-window range. A symmetrical range with left-hand section set back; plinth, plat band and moulded eaves cornice, with a central pedimented 5-window section set forward with a Royal cartouche in the pediment, and distinctive wide round ground-floor 3-light bays at each end with cornices. An ashlar porch has curved steps up each side to flat-headed doorways, panelled corners, cornice and blocking course, and a central round-arched window. Rubbed brick flat arches to 6/6-pane recessed sashes, with similar windows to the left-hand end. Right-hand return 6-window range with single-storey porch with half-glazed door and sunken panel above, with carved timber herms each side with skewed Ionic capitals and a bust and furled flags to the top. Left-hand extension with similar windows with a round-arched doorway with double doors and large fanlight. INTERIOR: large entrance hall divided by 2 Doric columns to antae, with round-arched doorways each side to axial passages between end doorways, giving on to front and rear offices, and a rear stone dogleg stair with cast-iron stick balusters, curtail and wreathed rail, lit by a lantern; 6-panel doors with panelled reveals and moulded cornices.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached low front forecourt walls and iron railings to the entrance steps.
HISTORY: replaced a 1750 office, and to the same plan as the 1780$ South Office Block at Portsmouth (qv). An early specialist office building in a national context, indicative of the complexity of administration produced by the scale of the early C19 Yard, and forming part of a fine and remarkably complete assemblage of Georgian naval buildings.
(Sources: Coad J: Historic Architecture of Chatham Dockyard 1700-1850: London: 1982: 173 ; Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 47; MacDougall P: The Chatham Dockyard Story: Rainham: 1987: 166; The Buildings of England: Newman J: West Kent & the Weald: London:1976:206)
Listing NGR: TQ7591369157
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings