History in Structure

Amores Including Outbuildings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hertford, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7911 / 51°47'28"N

Longitude: -0.1058 / 0°6'20"W

OS Eastings: 530736

OS Northings: 211972

OS Grid: TL307119

Mapcode National: GBR KBP.Q2N

Mapcode Global: VHGPN.37XR

Plus Code: 9C3XQVRV+FM

Entry Name: Amores Including Outbuildings

Listing Date: 10 February 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268719

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461518

ID on this website: 101268719

Location: Hertingfordbury, East Hertfordshire, SG14

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hertford

Built-Up Area: Hertford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hertingfordbury

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Tagged with: House Architectural structure

Find accommodation in



TL3011NE ST MARY'S LANE, Hertingfordbury
817-1/24/334 (West side)
10/02/50 No.2
Amores including outbuildings


Formerly known as: The Old Parsonage ST MARY'S LANE
House. Late C15 (south range), C16 (north range) C18 and C19
alterations and extensions. Timber-framed and plastered,
colourwashed, old brickwork, tiled roofs. 4 bay south range,
possibly cross wing to original hall to north, rebuilt
early/mid C16 as 3 bay floored northern range.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics. North range west elevation
faces street. At left large chimneybreast with small early C17
timber-framed lean-to garderobe at first floor. Late C17
4-light mullion and transom window at left of central
projecting chimneybreast and stack, with C18 2-storey gabled
projection at right, 2-light casement window on first floor,
C19 mullion and transom window on ground floor. C17 stair
turret with splayed ends with upper gable carried on curved
brackets in 2 directions and leaded landing windows, plain
gable of south range at right. Ground floor has single storey
pantile-roofed lean-to at left, and old tiled lean-to at
right, outer walls following street frontage.
South elevation has plastered first floor, colourwashed brick
ground floor and at left long 3-light small paned wood
casement window, with shorter casement below. Right of centre
is projecting C17 stair turret with splayed sides and upper
gable carried on curved brackets in 2 directions, 12-pane wood
casement on first floor at left and 6-pane light partway down
at right, hip-roofed single storey C19 outshut on ground
East elevation has 2-storey late C19 bay window at left, on
gabled end of south range, 4-light mullion and transom windows
and sidelights, moulded cornice head on ground floor, with
black stained weatherboard spandrel, and bold cyma moulded
cornice on first floor, with lead flat roof above. Gabled C19
porch in centre; on right two 2 light leaded mullion and
transom windows, ground floor with late C18 bay window with
canted sides with 12-pane sash windows. Centre with C19 twin
leaf half-glazed doors, 4-light fanlight, tiled lean-to roof,
2 light leaded mullion and transom window at right.
Roofs: with 2 gabled casement dormers on east slope of north
wing and gabled projections over stair turrets on west and

south elevations. Chimney with 2 diagonal red brick shafts
above external chimneybreast on north, square red brick stack
above external chimneybreast with crow-stepped brickwork, on
west and square red brick chimneystack on south.
Single storey tile roofed outbuildings around kitchen yard at
south-west corners of property.
INTERIOR: north range has vestibule on south leading up early
C18 straight flight stair, with panelled dado. Low moulded
rail between newel posts at right, half landing and short
upper flight, with first floor three quarter landing in C17
west stair turret. C17 studded partition on line of screens of
earlier hall, entry to wing through reset C16 door with
continuous linenfold-moulded battens and moulded frame with
Tudor arch, chamfer and roll moulded base to jambs. Closet
with C18 2-panel door. Drawing Room has C18 panelling and
moulded dado rail. Fireplace on west wall has flush hardwood
surround with chamfers and elaborate roll and tongue stops,
restored red brick fire surround with C20 hood. Dining Room
beyond has exposed studwork, C18 cornice. Clunch fireplace
with moulded jambs, Tudor arch and carved spandrels, restored
red brick fire recess. Kitchen in south-west room of south
wing, entry through lean-to, beam propped with cast-iron
column, and transverse beam has mortices for studs of original
end wall. Cellar below, red brick, English bond walls, brick
and tile floor. Smoking Room to west has C18 panelled upper
fireplace surround and double cyma cornice. Entrance Hall has
carved wood corbels, reputedly by Joseph Mayer of
Oberammergau, who carved the bench ends in St Mary's Church.
First floor has access from south stair turret, newel stair
with window and ovolo mouldings. 2 upper rooms, 1 with early
C18 bolection moulded fireplace surround. First floor of north
range approached from west stair turret, circular newel with
winders, leaded light with blacksmith-made catch, door to
landing c1700, 2-panels, with HL-hinges. Bathroom c1905
created within brick gable. North bedroom has curved and
moulded clunch fireplace, with Tudor arch, carved spandrels,
with rosettes on splay, black letter inscription '1563/wyllam
northe'. 3-light ovolo moulded mullioned window with
intermediate diamond mullions to tie back leaded lights.
Panelled oak door at left of fireplace to garderobe. Exposed
studwork on inner partition wall has a large 2-light blocked
window with 2 intermediate plain mullions; this originally
looked down into the hall below before it was floored over,
and the staircase turret built.
The attics were also created in C17 and have 3 cells. Exposed
truss of north wall has tie beam, downward curved bracing to
central stud below, and braces above which may support collars
(no access to upper roof over this range). Tie beams cut on

intermediate bays, doorway in south-east corner has chamfered
jambs, with tongue stops, and elliptical arch, plank door with
ledges and strap hinges, wide boarded floors. Purlins cut to
create access from stair head. Window at top of stair with
moulded mullions. Roof over south range shows inserted
chimneystack, heavy pegged rafters with purlins and
HISTORICAL NOTE: Amores was held by copyhold of the Manor or
Hertingfordbury, held by the Duchy of Lancaster. The name
derives from a tenant named 'at More', corrupted into John
Amores in 1540. In 1560 it was held by William North who added
the elaborate fireplaces and chimney to the north gable in
1563. The house was restored in 1959.
(Smith JT: Hertfordshire Houses: Selective Inventory: London:
1993-: 88).

Listing NGR: TL3073611972

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.