History in Structure

The Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Hertford, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7912 / 51°47'28"N

Longitude: -0.1062 / 0°6'22"W

OS Eastings: 530709

OS Northings: 211974

OS Grid: TL307119

Mapcode National: GBR KBP.PZ1

Mapcode Global: VHGPN.37QR

Plus Code: 9C3XQVRV+FG

Entry Name: The Hill

Listing Date: 12 April 1973

Last Amended: 9 September 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268888

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461351

ID on this website: 101268888

Location: Hertingfordbury, East Hertfordshire, SG14

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hertford

Built-Up Area: Hertford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hertingfordbury

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Tagged with: House Architectural structure

Find accommodation in



817-1/24/319 (West side)
12/04/73 Hertingfordbury
Nos.236 AND 238
The Hill
(Formerly Listed as:
MAIN ROAD, Hertingfordbury
Nos.236 AND 238)


2 houses, now single property. C17 and C18, remodelled C20,
with extension to west 1973-4. Timber-framed and plastered,
colourwashed brick. Old tiled gabled roofs, hipped on south
ranges above modillioned eaves cornice, massive central brick
chimneystack with clustered shafts, band and oversailing
courses above eaves on west elevation. 4 bay structure to west
range, 2 bays on north with outshut leading to C20 extension.
EXTERIOR: building constructed on sloping site so that
2-storey west front becomes single-storey with 2 attics at
lower level on east, facing road. West elevation has 4
windows, 3 flush-set small paned casements and one 12-pane
sash, moulded band at first-floor level, 3-light casement at
left on ground floor, flush-set 6-pane sash with moulded
architrave surround, in centre 9-panel glazed door with 2
flush lower panels in reeded surround, in doorcase with Tuscan
columns and responds, 'Gothick' frieze and modillion cornice
to open pediment with tiled roof.
East elevation has 3 gabled dormers with sashes, 1 in long
downward slope of roof which abuts lean-to the upper, west
range, 2 as half dormers at right, either side of a red brick
chimneystack with external chimneybreast. Ground floor has
door at left, giving access to lower ground floor of property.
6-panel door, recessed with moulded architrave, in doorcase
with slim moulded panelled pilasters with paterae caps.
Moulded fascia and scotia moulded cornice, moulded cornice
head with panelled soffit supported on wrought-iron twist
brackets, two 6-pane sashes at right; gabled right-hand
(north) flank has weatherboard at first-floor level, and
3-light small panel casement window.
INTERIOR: much opened out, ground floor of west range is full
length sitting room, with diagonally set chimneybreast,
without fireplace, first floor has two 4-panel C18 doors. Roof
is C18 queen strut structure, some rafters of reused timber.
The Hill was the Bailiff's house of the Panshanger Estate
until 1954. During C19 there were further cottages on the

lower part of the site.

Listing NGR: TL3070911974

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.