History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Avon Mills, Outer Buldings

A Grade II Listed Building in Malmesbury, Wiltshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5808 / 51°34'50"N

Longitude: -2.094 / 2°5'38"W

OS Eastings: 393583

OS Northings: 186885

OS Grid: ST935868

Mapcode National: GBR 2QZ.Z9D

Mapcode Global: VH95S.NJCJ

Entry Name: Avon Mills, Outer Buldings

Listing Date: 12 December 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1269279

English Heritage Legacy ID: 460943

Location: Malmesbury, Wiltshire, SN16

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Malmesbury

Built-Up Area: Malmesbury

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Malmesbury and Brokenborough

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Malmesbury

Listing Text


MALMESBURY

ST9386 ST JOHN'S BRIDGE
758-1/3/295 (East side)
12/12/51 Avon Mills, Outer Buildings

GV II

Woollen mill, now flats. 1790 for Francis Hill, converted
1984. Limestone rubble with ashlar and brick dressings and a
slate roof.
PLAN: L-shaped block of 2 single-depth ranges.
EXTERIOR: 5 storeys and attic; 8:8-window range. Plain,
regular ranges with coved cornice and ashlar parapets ramped
up at the ends, coped end gables, with 1-window linking
section to the E end of the N block containing a
segmental-arched through carriageway with key and imposts.
Brick segmental-arched heads to C20 3-light casements, some
blocked, 4 dormers each; C20 doorway in the S block 5 bays
from the archway with lower flanking windows, a 2-centre
arched doorway in the right-hand side of the carriageway, and
a round-headed doorway in the rear elevation of the N block 4
bays from the archway.
The S block built into the hill behind, which has a similar
elevation with a continuous dormer to a flat-roofed end
section over the corner.
INTERIOR: not inspected, but reported to be largely late C20.
HISTORICAL NOTE: originally called Burton Hill Mill, enlarged
1803, converted to steam power 1838. Other uses include a corn
mill c1825, and silk mill c1850.
(Victoria History of the Counties of England: Crowley DA:
Wiltshire: 1991-: 146).


Listing NGR: ST9358986878

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.