History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

16 and 18, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Malmesbury, Wiltshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5833 / 51°34'59"N

Longitude: -2.0977 / 2°5'51"W

OS Eastings: 393323

OS Northings: 187160

OS Grid: ST933871

Mapcode National: GBR 2QZ.QFR

Mapcode Global: VH95S.LGCM

Entry Name: 16 and 18, High Street

Listing Date: 1 July 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1269398

English Heritage Legacy ID: 460810

Location: Malmesbury, Wiltshire, SN16

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Malmesbury

Built-Up Area: Malmesbury

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Malmesbury and Brokenborough

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Malmesbury

Listing Text


MALMESBURY

ST9387 HIGH STREET
758-1/4/146 (East side)
01/07/76 Nos.16 AND 18

GV II

Inn, now 2 houses and shops. Mid C16, divided c1809, later C19
shop fronts. Limestone rubble, with timber square framing
refronted in brick early C19, brick stack to N of
through-passage below ridge with a stone slate roof to the
left and slate to the right.
PLAN: U-shaped courtyard plan with a single-depth front range
and parallel rear wings flanking through-passage.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 3-window range. No.16 has a good mid C19
shop front with panelled pilasters and consoles to fascia and
cornice, and horned 2/2-pane first-floor sashes, No.18 has a
C20 shop front with plate-glass and a single 2/2-pane sash
with exposed frame, and a central through-passage with exposed
square framing and brick noggingg. N side of rear range has an
attic 3-light ovolo-moulded mullion window; matching rear
gables to the wings.
INTERIOR: details of No.16 include a first-floor front room
with left-hand Tudor-arched stone fire surround and chamfered
beams, a timber stair in two sections with a door and winder
stair to the attic. N wing of 2 storeys and attic has plank
and muntin panelling partitions, chamfered beams with carved
stops, some panelled cupboards, doors and door frames with old
furniture; 3-bay roof with an extended collar truss between
dormers carried at one end by 2 elaborately turned balusters,
possibly from a former galleried courtyard of inn. No.18
altered.
HISTORICAL NOTE: medieval inn on this site in 1540, still open
in 1751, closed by 1809. Shop front of No.16 probably built
for a druggist in occupation c1828-58.


Listing NGR: ST9333187161

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.