This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5858 / 51°35'8"N
Longitude: -2.1015 / 2°6'5"W
OS Eastings: 393065
OS Northings: 187439
OS Grid: ST930874
Mapcode National: GBR 2QZ.HJ4
Mapcode Global: VH95S.JDDP
Entry Name: The Three Cups Public House
Listing Date: 1 July 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1269446
English Heritage Legacy ID: 460774
Location: Malmesbury, Wiltshire, SN16
Civil Parish: Malmesbury
Built-Up Area: Malmesbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Malmesbury and Brokenborough
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST9387 GLOUCESTER ROAD
758-1/2/111 (West side)
01/07/76 The Three Cups Public House
Public house. C17, re-fronted late C19. Rendered limestone
rubble with ashlar left-hand gable stack and slate roof, stone
slate to the rear.
PLAN: U-shaped plan with early C19 SW wing flanking rear yard.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement; 3-window range. A central
doorway has bracketed hipped canopy and half-glazed door, with
ground-floor double 4-light casements, 1 to the left and 2 to
the right, and first-floor 3/3-pane left-hand sashes and, one
to the right. The rendered early C19 left-hand gable has a
rubble range behind with large, thin quoins to the end gable
and a rear section with double Roman tile roof, timber lintels
to a left-hand double sash, right-hand C20 casement and
first-floor left-hand 6/6-pane sash.
Right-hand gable return has a right-hand jamb and rubble cill
course of former 2-centre carriage arch, a first-floor C19
casement with stay bar; to the right a C19 shop window in the
lower rear C17 wing.
INTERIOR: details include chamfered, stopped ceiling beams.
Upper floors not seen, but reported to have been re-roofed
HISTORICAL NOTE: right-hand rear wing probably formerly
extended to include No.2 St Mary's Street (qv).
Listing NGR: ST9305787447
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings