History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ferney Hall Including Stables and Attached Wall and Steps to East

A Grade II Listed Building in Onibury, Shropshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3928 / 52°23'33"N

Longitude: -2.832 / 2°49'55"W

OS Eastings: 343478

OS Northings: 277518

OS Grid: SO434775

Mapcode National: GBR BF.Q7H7

Mapcode Global: VH76L.V4P1

Entry Name: Ferney Hall Including Stables and Attached Wall and Steps to East

Listing Date: 16 December 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1269842

English Heritage Legacy ID: 460343

Location: Onibury, Shropshire, SY7

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Onibury

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Clungunford

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Onibury

Listing Text


ONIBURY
SO47NW
1943-1/8/168

Ferney Hall including stables and attached wall and steps to east

16/12/93

II

Country house, derelict at time of survey. 1856. By John Norton for W H Sitwell. Red brick with stone dressings and slate roofs with ornamental brick ridge, end and side stacks with decorated flues, some in clusters. Jacobean style with stone mullion windows and Dutch gables.

EXTERIOR: Two storeys and attic. Entrance front has three-storey tower with doorway enriched with Doric pilasters and frieze, two-light window above, bracketed cornice, and open belvedere with parapet and ogee roof, further windows to either side. Garden front is a five-window range with projecting end gables and two-storey canted bays; central doorway with oriel over. Side is an asymmetrical design with projecting gable, side stacks and oriels to first floor.

Attached to the entrance front by a covered way are the stables of one and two storeys in similar style. U-plan with central carriage arch and clock tower above, with open square lantern and ogee roof, echoing the house belvedere.

INTERIOR: not inspected.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: extending from the right corner of the garden front is a brick and stone wall with elaborate niches near the house, then steps and gateway. The wall then extends eastward bounding the drive, and becoming constructed of coursed rubble about halfway along its length.

The park was landscaped by Humphry Repton.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26 March 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.