This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9568 / 52°57'24"N
Longitude: -1.1538 / 1°9'13"W
OS Eastings: 456946
OS Northings: 340268
OS Grid: SK569402
Mapcode National: GBR LNN.96
Mapcode Global: WHDGS.7YV4
Plus Code: 9C4WXR4W+PF
Entry Name: Church of St Andreww and Attached Former Sunday School
Listing Date: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270832
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457127
Location: Hyson Green and Arboretum, Nottingham, NG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Arboretum
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5640SE GOLDSMITH STREET
646-1/13/224 (West side)
Church of St Andrew and attached
former Sunday school
Presbyterian church, now United Reformed church, and attached
former Sunday school. Dated 1869, by Robert Evans of
Nottingham. Additions and alterations mid C20. Rockfaced stone
with ashlar dressings and slate roof with coped gables.
Various lias limestone bands. Gothic Revival style.
EXTERIOR: plinth, pointed arched windows with hood moulds.
Single unit, with semicircular transepts and prominent porches
and stair towers at west end. Sunday school adjoining at east
Main unit has at the east end, a traceried round window. On
each side, two 2-light windows. At the west end, facing the
street, 5 arcaded windows, flanked by straight buttresses.
Above, a 4-light window, traceried, with a round window above.
Transepts have 3 single light windows. To south-west, a square
porch, 2 storeys, with pyramidal roof and angle buttresses.
Pointed arched double door to west, 2-light window to north.
To north-west, a gable porch, 2 storeys. To north, a pointed
arched double door with shafts, and above it, a 2-light
window. Right return has a single light stair window.
In the return angles of the porches, external corridors with
Sunday school, 2 storeys plus basement, has two 2-light
windows at the north end, with quatrefoil heads.
INTERIOR rendered, mainly original. Single space with crossing
flanked by transepts, rear gallery, and entrance lobby flanked
by stair tower and baptistry. Main space barrel vaulted with
match board panelling and wooden ribs. Transepts are spanned
by double wooden arches, pointed, with traceried spandrels.
Wooden half-domes with ribs.
At the front, panelled wooden screen, pulpit, organ case and
reading desk, 1869. Stained glass round window, 1870. At the
rear, a wooden gallery on cast-iron columns with crocket
capitals. Traceried wrought-iron crest to panelled front.
Under the gallery, a doorway flanked by 2 windows, all with
pointed arches. Each side of the gallery, doors with stained
glass panels. Crossing has at each corner a round column with
crocket capital, flanked at the front by pointed arched
doorways. At the rear, pointed arched doors to east, and
shouldered doors to north and south leading to internal
Entrance lobby has pointed arched doors at each end, and 3
stained glass windows, c1920. Stairwells contain stone
cantilever stairs with elaborate cast-iron balusters.
Baptistry to south has an octagonal panelled font with shafts,
1893. Other fittings include original curved benches
throughout. No memorials.
Listing NGR: SK5694640268
Other nearby listed buildings