This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3931 / 53°23'35"N
Longitude: -1.501 / 1°30'3"W
OS Eastings: 433277
OS Northings: 388589
OS Grid: SK332885
Mapcode National: GBR 98F.NG
Mapcode Global: WHCCB.XZD5
Entry Name: Former Walkely Ebenezer Methodist Church
Listing Date: 23 September 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270916
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456848
Location: Sheffield, S6
Electoral Ward/Division: Walkley
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Walkley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NW SOUTH ROAD
784-1/5/669 (South West side)
23/09/86 Former Walkley Ebenezer Methodist
Methodist church. 1890. By WJ Taylor. Coursed rock-faced stone
with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. Italianate style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 3 x 6 bays. Plinth with chamfered ashlar
band, moulded impost and first-floor sillbands. Bays defined
by giant pilasters on ashlar bases rising to dentilled eaves
band and supporting moulded cornice with blocking course and
corner dies with ball-in-cup finials.
Recessed central bay, 3 windows, under pediment with console
cornice and ball-in-cup finials. In the tympanum, a trefoil
opening and below it a band inscribed "A D 1890 EBENEZER".
Central triple round-arched window with pilaster jambs,
flanked on either side by single segment-headed windows.
Ground floor has steps up to paired segment-headed 6-panel
double doors in the central bay. Above the doors, an ashlar
band inscribed "PRIMITIVE METHODIST". On either side, single
windows. All these openings have keyed hoodmoulds and the
windows have corbelled sills and margin light glazing.
Returns have projecting front bay with a single window on each
floor in the same style as the front.
The body of the building has dentilled eaves, coped parapet
and a gable stack. 5 bays, defined by giant pilasters, have
round-arched plain sashes above and smaller segment-headed
sashes below, all with corbelled sills and keystones.
INTERIOR has a gallery on all 4 sides, carried on columns with
Corinthian capitals, with canted corners and panelled front
with decorative iron grilles. Moulded ceiling panels. At the
front, platform with panelled pulpit flanked on either side by
stairs with decorative iron balustrades, the moulded handrail
continuing as the altar rail, carried on iron columns with
flowers in spandrels. Above, organ, 1894, in panelled Gothic
case, flanked by single stained glass windows. Panelled doors
and pitch-pine benches throughout. Octagonal stone font on
Building vacant at time of survey.
(100 Years for God (Centenary pamphlet): Sheffield: 1947-).
Listing NGR: SK3327788589
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings