History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Loxley College Walkley Centre

A Grade II Listed Building in Walkley, Sheffield

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.392 / 53°23'31"N

Longitude: -1.4997 / 1°29'58"W

OS Eastings: 433368

OS Northings: 388472

OS Grid: SK333884

Mapcode National: GBR 98F.YV

Mapcode Global: WHCCB.YZ1Z

Entry Name: Loxley College Walkley Centre

Listing Date: 12 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1255155

English Heritage Legacy ID: 458823

Location: Sheffield, S6

County: Sheffield

Electoral Ward/Division: Walkley

Built-Up Area: Sheffield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Walkley St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Walkley

Listing Text


SHEFFIELD

SK38NW HOWARD ROAD
784-1/5/444 (North West side)
Loxley College Walkley Centre

GV II

National school, now college of further education centre.
Dated 1871, with later C19 addition and mid C20 alterations.
Possibly by JG Weightman, designer of the adjacent Church of
St Mary (qv), 1869. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and
slate roofs with coped gables and single ridge stack and
conical ventilator. Gothic Revival style. H-plan.
EXTERIOR: single storey; 8 window range. Windows have stone
mullions.
Symmetrical front with central gable with large external coped
stack, with square inscribed plaque flanked by blank panels.
String courses above and below the panels. Beyond, on either
side, a Tudor arched 3-light window flanked by single Tudor
arched cross casements. The lower parts of these windows are
covered by a single storey lean-to addition between the wings,
with coped parapet and 5 C20 casements.
Gabled flanking wings have a Tudor arched 3-light cross
mullioned window and above, a pointed arched recess containing
a triangular ventilator. Left gable has on either side a C20
box dormer. Their inner sides have a catslide roof to a porch
with chamfered pointed arched doorway and hoodmould.
Right return, to Fir Street, has a central truncated external
stack, with a plaque naming the vicar and churchwardens. To
right, 2 Tudor arched cross casements. To left, a similar
window, then a door.
INTERIOR not inspected.


Listing NGR: SK3336888472

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.