This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8019 / 50°48'6"N
Longitude: -1.0994 / 1°5'57"W
OS Eastings: 463563
OS Northings: 100649
OS Grid: SU635006
Mapcode National: GBR VPP.ZK
Mapcode Global: FRA 86LZ.7JR
Entry Name: Royal Navy Detention Quarters (Building Number 2/44)
Listing Date: 13 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272261
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476631
Location: Portsmouth, PO1
County: City of Portsmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU 6300 ANCHOR GATE ROAD
HM Naval Base
774-1/8/184 R.N Detention Quarters
(Building No. 2/44)
Military, then naval, prison. c1834; bomb-damaged c1940 with subsequent rebuilding. Red brick in Flemish bond; concealed roof. PLAN: axial plan of central full-height aisle with cells opening off. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and basement. 18 bays, the NE and 5 SW bays rebuilt after bomb damage. Small segmental-arched windows with small-paned glazing, projecting sills, and some with bars. Large air vents with stone lintels and sills and perforated covers. Second-floor band; eaves band below concrete-coped parapet; gabled ridge sky-light; conical roof vents. North-west side: at left .end, entrance- with metal grille formerly giving access to a small open court now an entrance porch. South-east side: at left end, basement door and window (further basement windows below present ground level). T o right, a single-storey ablutions block, reroofed and added to. Gable ends each have a louvred segmental- arched vent to the roof skylight; at south-west end a door with iron gate.
INTERIOR: two sets of iron stairs with octagonal newels up to cantilevered cast-iron galleries which run around 1st and 2nd floors, with 3 open wells on each floor and cross-braced balustrades (some balustrading and stairs renewed). Cells: some heavy nail-studded wooden doors survive; each has wooden shelf, hammock hooks, and floor and ceiling vent. Cell no. R4 retains old graffiti, including the date 1864 and the name of someone from HMS Warrior. HISTORY: a relatively intact example of an early C19 detention block. Maintenance records for the building go back to 1834.
Listing NGR: SU6299200361
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings