History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hms Nelson: Former Barracks (Building Number 14)

A Grade II Listed Building in Portsmouth, City of Portsmouth

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8012 / 50°48'4"N

Longitude: -1.0991 / 1°5'56"W

OS Eastings: 463586

OS Northings: 100567

OS Grid: SU635005

Mapcode National: GBR VPS.2G

Mapcode Global: FRA 86LZ.7NC

Plus Code: 9C2WRW22+F9

Entry Name: Hms Nelson: Former Barracks (Building Number 14)

Listing Date: 25 September 1972

Last Amended: 18 March 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387148

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475057

Location: Charles Dickens, Portsmouth, PO1

County: City of Portsmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Portsmouth

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Portsea St George

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in
Gosport

Description



PORTSMOUTH

SU6300 QUEEN STREET
774-1/8/99 (North side)
25/09/72 HMS Nelson: former barracks
(Building No.14)
(Formerly Listed as:
QUEEN STREET
HMS Victory Barracks, Building
No.93, Rodney)

GV II

Formerly known as: Anglesey Barracks QUEEN STREET.
Army barracks, now naval barracks. 1847-48, altered mid C20.
Red brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressings. Concealed
roof, with brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. 3;16 window range. Originally forming the
centrepiece and right-hand wing of a longer range. Ashlar
plinth, 1st-floor band, and eaves cornice below
concrete-rendered parapet. 12-pane sashes in reveals with flat
gauged brick arches and stone sills. Double board doors with
4-pane overlights, each in ashlar architrave with piers,
frieze, cornice and blocking course, which runs into the
1st-floor band. Above each door a tripartite window with
wooden mullions and windows of 4, 12 and 4-panes. Former
centrepiece projects below pediment with oculus and above, a
console-bracketed plinth which formerly supported the statue
of a lion (now in Wardroom garden, qv).
Wing: 2 left and 3 right bays project slightly; 2 entrances.
Rear ground-floor iron Doric colonnade broken by two C20
3-storey, 2-bay projections. At left corner inverted cannon
barrel bollard.
INTERIOR: entrances lead into stairhalls from which rise stone
stairs with stick balusters.
HISTORY: the barracks were originally part of the army's
Anglesea Barracks and were incorporated into the first naval
barracks HMS Victory in 1899. An interesting example of a
large mid C19 barracks, and one of the few that remain from
immediately before the Crimean War.
(Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its environs:
Portsmouth: 1974-: 82).


Listing NGR: SU6373200461

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.