This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0671 / 51°4'1"N
Longitude: -1.7966 / 1°47'47"W
OS Eastings: 414349
OS Northings: 129776
OS Grid: SU143297
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.2LS
Mapcode Global: FRA 7639.KWQ
Plus Code: 9C3W3683+V9
Entry Name: School of Arts and Crafts
Listing Date: 12 October 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1273453
English Heritage Legacy ID: 444889
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury St Thomas and St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1594 (South Side)
School of Arts
SU 1429 NW 3/538
The right hand part, former Literary Institution, built in 1871 by A C Bothams
in free Gothic style. The left hand part a later annexe in Tudor style probably
by same architect circa 1900. The former Institution has a narrow 3 storey,
3 bay front. Red brick with blue ceramic brick bandssacross front and carried
up in pointed arches above windows, tympani decorated with grey brick herring-bone.
3 gables, the centre one large and steep pitched, deep eaves, bargeboards.
3 windows to upper floors, large to centre, paired and tripartite, brick pilasters
and rendered colonettes dividing. Ground floor has large central tripartite
window with elaborate figured capitals to and pilasters. Flanking slightly
ogee arched doorways with foliate capped columns, right hand now a window.
The "Tudor" annexe is also of 3 storeys, brick ground floor, plaster and timber
framed upper floors. Jettied centre bay with full width wood mullioned windows.
Wood pediments over outer first floor windows. Overhanging eaves.
Nos 21 to 49 (odd), the School of Arts and Crafts, Nos 61, 63 and
Nos 67 to 75 (odd) form a group.
Listing NGR: SU1434929776
Other nearby listed buildings