This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0856 / 52°5'8"N
Longitude: -0.3424 / 0°20'32"W
OS Eastings: 513670
OS Northings: 244321
OS Grid: TL136443
Mapcode National: GBR H47.B6P
Mapcode Global: VHGMZ.0VT2
Plus Code: 9C4X3MP5+62
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 31 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1274774
English Heritage Legacy ID: 414286
Location: Old Warden, Central Bedfordshire, SG18
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Old Warden
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Old Warden
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 1244 OLD WARDEN CHURCH END
10/138 Parish Church of
31.10.66 St Leonard
Parish church, originally forming part of the endowment of Warden Abbey. C12
origins, predominantly C13, with C14, C15 and C16 details, reworked mid and
late C19. Mainly of brown cobblestones with limestone dressings, some later
works in red brick and in coursed limestone. State roofs. Chancel, N vestry,
nave, S aisle, S porch, W tower. Chancel: C13, E half rebuilt later C19. C19
E and SE windows. NW window, SW priest's door and surmounting window are C14.
Late C13 chancel arch. Plain parapet to E end. N vestry and organ chamber
are late C19. Nave: N wall has C15 3-light window flanked by 2 C14 2-light
windows with C15 tracery. C14 blocked doorway. Early C14 3-bay pointed-arched
arcade to S. S aisle: C14. C15 3-light E window. C16 square-headed 3-light
window to SE and W. Embattled parapet. C19 S doorway. S porch: erected
1952, in memory of Richard Ormonde Shuttleworth (d.1940), by his mother.
Timber framed with red brick infill, and gabled tiled roof . W tower: 4
stages, with embattled parapet. Base of tower, including tower arch, is C12,
remainder rebuilt C15. Bell stage has 2-light pointed arched window without
tracery to each side. Small loophole windows to other stages. 2-light
pointed-arched window to W elevation of lower stage, inserted or reworked C19.
Interior: filled with C16, C17 and C18 carved woodwork, apparently mainly
Flemish and English, collected by Robert Henley 3rd Lord Ongley, and installed
1841. Gallery in S aisle with blank arched panels is probably Jacobean.
Pewing is constructed from variety of C16-C17 Belgian pieces, some with ogee
headed panels, some with acanthus scrolls, some in chancel with panels showing
letters AC and simple strapwork. Caryatids to panelling behind altar. The
collection is linked by much Victorian woodwork. Nave roof, rebuilt 1841, has
elaborate wavy-edged decoration to timbers. Pulpit, installed late C19 by
Colonel Shuttleworth, probably C18 Belgian, has high relief biblical scenes
and signs of the Evangelists. C14 font, formerly with 12 shafts. To SW of
nave is marble monument to Sir Samuel Ongley, d.1726, by P Scheemakers and L
Delvaux, with large standing figure in Roman costume flanked by putti. Tablet
with draped urn and coat of arms, to Robert Henley 2nd Lord Ongley, d.1814.
To SE of nave is monument to Caroline Jane Shuttleworth, d.1899. Alabaster
and white marble, by C H Mabey, with figure of Faith. NE window of nave has
restored C14 glass from Warden Abbey.
Listing NGR: TL1367044321
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings