This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.9622 / 54°57'43"N
Longitude: -1.6001 / 1°36'0"W
OS Eastings: 425705
OS Northings: 563136
OS Grid: NZ257631
Mapcode National: GBR SR6.M8
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.DJ9R
Entry Name: Chapel of St Edmund and Trinity Centre
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1277874
English Heritage Legacy ID: 430223
Location: Gateshead, NE8
Electoral Ward/Division: Bridges
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Gateshead
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Gateshead Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Durham
1. HIGH STREET
Chapel Of St Edmund
NZ 2563 5/14 26.4.50 and Trinity Centre
St Edmund's Chapel: Early C13 five-bay building, with gable end to road having
elaborate design of seven stepped and moulded lancets under dripmoulds with nail-
head below, Nos 2, 4 and 6 only glazed. Beneath, is the multi-moulded central doorway
with three orders of nook shafts flanked by upper and lower pairs of trefoil-headed,
multi-moulded blank arches. South return has single lancets with plain chamfered
heads and nook shafts; stepped buttress bay divisions.
To North the Community centre, formerly Church, of 1837 by John Dobson, related in
design: 5 stepped lancets in gable end under relieving arch and dripmould.
Projecting porch leads to North vestry with undercroft. Octagonal turret with
short stone spire. This part now divided into two floors for community use but
architectural features are retained.
At south side of forecourt a good, late C16, stone doorway with short fluted
pilasters, entablature and flattened Tudor arched entrance, moved here from front
of court. It was the entrance to Gateshead House, built on site of St Edmund's
Hospital by William Riddell.
Listing NGR: NZ2570563136
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings